Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group  

Go Back   Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group > Gear Gossip > The Club Doctors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Club Doctors For those who want to discuss or would like advice on club making, club repair and/or fitting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM
dreh

How To Swingweight Cut Down Shaft

I currently have an R9 SuperTri with an Alidla REAX 60 gram R-flex shaft. Overall length is 45 inches. It needs to be cut to 44 1/2 inches. The weight setup in the head is 4/14/2. I know the overall swingweight will change from what it currently is, but do not know whether to make up the weight with added weight in the head or as I have read, a lighter grip. Q. - What are the advantages/disadvantages of adding the weight to the head or with the grip?

Current Swingweight At 45 Inches - D-2

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Claret Jug

Re: How To Swingweight Cut Down Shaft

IF you add the weight to the head, wouldn't that exacerbate the weight differential from shaft to head even more?

I'm not a club maker, but I would think if you weighed the portion of shaft cut off, that could be added to the butt end of the club and not change the swing weight at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreh View Post
I currently have an R9 SuperTri with an Alidla REAX 60 gram R-flex shaft. Overall length is 45 inches. It needs to be cut to 44 1/2 inches. The weight setup in the head is 4/14/2. I know the overall swingweight will change from what it currently is, but do not know whether to make up the weight with added weight in the head or as I have read, a lighter grip. Q. - What are the advantages/disadvantages of adding the weight to the head or with the grip?

Old 01-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Tournament Winner

Send a message via AIM to indacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreh View Post

Like pretty much everything in life, people have different opinions as to how important swing weight is.

My opinion is swing weight (to a certain extent) is not as important as overall static weight…especially in your case. Trimming off ½” is equivalent to about the weight of a nickel. Most players will not notice that difference as much as they will noticed the decrease in club length.

As far as what happened when you cut off the ½”? There are a few variables that come into play there, (weight of grip..etc..) but let’s say the head weighs 200gms and you have a standard OEM Taylor Made grip which weighs 50.5gm, at 45”, it will put you at a swing weight of D-2? Slicing off ½” from the tip would put you right around a C-9.

If you want to bring it back up to D-2, you will need to back weight it accordingly...but before you do, go ahead and tape a nickel to the butt of the grip and see if you can tell any difference...I doubt if you will!

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:46 AM
U.S. Open Winner

Bull; I'm afraid you have it backwards on adding the same amount of weight to the butt end of the shaft as was cut off. This would in fact LOWER the swing weight even more. What is needed to bring the swing weight back up is to add weight to the club head, not the butt end of the grip or shaft. ONe way to do that would be to change out one of the screw weight with a heavier one. He could change out the 2 gram weight with say a 4 or 6 gram screw, or increase the 14 to the next higher weight they make.
Or he could replace the grip with a lighter one, maybe the new WinnLite grip that only weighs 25 grams. My advice would be to re-install the OEM grip and see how it feels as is. If it feels too light in the head, try adding a few grams of lead tape to see how it feels. After you have it the way you like it. remove the lead tape and weigh it, then go by this weight to figure out what size screw weights will do the same thing. It may turn out you like the club as is and don't need to mess with changiing anything. If you decide you want to add weight to the head with new screw weights, let me know and I'll give you a list of R9 screw weights that I build just for this purpose. I have an R7 CGB that I picked up that was too light in the head. so I built a few new weights to replace the little 1 gram screws that came in the toe and heel. I built some 4 gram weights that did the trick perfectly. Replacing the two 1 gram weights increased the swing weight to what I like and now the club feels and plays much better for me.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Claret Jug

OnePutt, trying to see where I got it wrong. If you cut down the shaft, and providing you put back a similar/same grip, the weight of the shaft relative to the head is decreased.

Last year when I went to one of our local 'demo days', a Nike rep. took a driver I was hitting and shifted out to a lower weighted shaft and handed it back to me. I said... "you put a lighter shaft in this?... he said "yep", and I said, "it feels heavier than before??" He said, what you are sensing is the weight differential of the head to the shaft, which is now head-heavier than the previous setup. The entire feel of the club was different, going from a driver that felt even weighted to one that felt like one of my hybrids (head-heavy)....didn't like that feel.

Is it the 'heft' perhaps that changes?, because I would think its much like adding lead tape to the head, the weightier feel of the club head is much different than before.

Are you saying swing weight changes because of a fullcrum pivot point that is now shorter and closer to the head? or some such thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePutt View Post
Bull; I'm afraid you have it backwards on adding the same amount of weight to the butt end of the shaft as was cut off. This would in fact LOWER the swing weight even more. What is needed to bring the swing weight back up is to add weight to the club head, not the butt end of the grip or shaft. ONe way to do that would be to change out one of the screw weight with a heavier one. He could change out the 2 gram weight with say a 4 or 6 gram screw, or increase the 14 to the next higher weight they make.
Or he could replace the grip with a lighter one, maybe the new WinnLite grip that only weighs 25 grams. My advice would be to re-install the OEM grip and see how it feels as is. If it feels too light in the head, try adding a few grams of lead tape to see how it feels. After you have it the way you like it. remove the lead tape and weigh it, then go by this weight to figure out what size screw weights will do the same thing. It may turn out you like the club as is and don't need to mess with changiing anything. If you decide you want to add weight to the head with new screw weights, let me know and I'll give you a list of R9 screw weights that I build just for this purpose. I have an R7 CGB that I picked up that was too light in the head. so I built a few new weights to replace the little 1 gram screws that came in the toe and heel. I built some 4 gram weights that did the trick perfectly. Replacing the two 1 gram weights increased the swing weight to what I like and now the club feels and plays much better for me.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Tournament Winner

Bulls, I believe you and Oneputt are basically saying the same thing, but real differently...LOL

You are correct...reducing the weight of the shaft or trimming weight from the butt end of the shaft WILL increase overall swing weight. Just as would keeping shaft weight/length the same and adding weight to the head would increase swing weight.

Below is a link where you can play with different lengths and weights and see go yourself how it works:

swingweight
Old 01-26-2011, 12:08 PM
U.S. Open Winner

Sorry Indacup and Bull, but reducing the weight of the shaft by going to a lighter weight will in fact DECREASE the swing weight, not Raise it. Sure, the head will FEEL heaver because the shaft is lighter, but the swing weight will be lower not higher. Reason is the swing weight pivot point is only 14 inches from the butt end of the shaft. So with a lighter shaft, there is less weight on the tip end of the club, so the swing weight goes down. I've changed a lot of driver shafts from 65 grams to 76 gram shafts, and the swing weight goes up every time. Same with cutting down a club length by butt trimming the shaft. The head is now closer to the pivot point, so the swing weight goes down.

Last edited by OnePutt : 01-26-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 PM
U.S. Open Winner

Bull, look at it this way. Lets way you have a 42 inch 5 wood. The swing weight scale uses a pivot point that is 14" from the butt end of the club, so the head has a 28" leverage arm. 42 minus 14 = 28. Now lets cut the butt end of the club down so you have a 28" club. Now the head only has a 14" leverage arm, compared to the 28" leverage arm from before. So the weight of the head has half as much leverage to work with as it did before, so the swing weight scale will show a lighter swign weight with the short shaft. And that's the way it works with all lengths of clubs.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Tournament Winner

Quote:
Sorry Indacup and Bull, but reducing the weight of the shaft by going to a lighter weight will in fact DECREASE the swing weight, not Raise it. Sure, the head will FEEL heaver because the shaft is lighter, but the swing weight will be lower not higher. Reason is the swing weight pivot point is only 14 inches from the butt end of the shaft. So with a lighter shaft, there is less weight on the tip end of the club, so the swing weight goes down. I've changed a lot of driver shafts from 65 grams to 76 gram shafts, and the swing weight goes up every time. Same with cutting down a club length by butt trimming the shaft. The head is now closer to the pivot point, so the swing weight goes down.
Good grief, You are absolutely correct, I totally zoned out on this thread.

Lengthening a club increases swing weight, shortening it decreases it.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Claret Jug

I like this explanation, it makes it more clear (to me). But my original intention, although I messed up speaking on behalf of swing weighting, was to get the same feel of weighting, or weight distribution, if that makes any sense. That's why I asked about the fulcrum position being changed on the cut-down after looking up something about swing weighting. If I wanted a cut-down club to feel the same weight distribution I had before (not "head-heavier" because I lost weight on the shaft)...what do you do?

Quote: