Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group  

Go Back   Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group > Gear Gossip > The Club Doctors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Club Doctors For those who want to discuss or would like advice on club making, club repair and/or fitting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Golf Enthusiast

Lie Angle Immpact Decals or tape

Other than Golf Works who has this product and is there a alternative or something found at the local hardware store?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Claret Jug

Re: Lie Angle Immpact Decals or tape

From an old post of mine on this topic elsewhere in here:

I have/came across 2 kinds of impact tape.

1st type impact tape - typical strip on the bottom sole of the iron, you have indications of hitting it either in the middle, towards the toe or the heel....the fitter will know how much to bend them.

When I did my son's irons when he was in high school (we did every iron, hit 3 balls each), we also included this other kind of tape simultaneously:

2nd type of impact tape: - this one you put on the face of the iron...I guess is helps to see where you are hitting the ball as well as the lie angle. The bottom edge of the tape had little gradations on it. The 'where you are hitting the ball' is obvious if you are covering the face. But there was a procedure to using it for lie angle.... you had to put a 'black strip' with a marker on your ball (that would transfer to the tape on the face of the iron when struck)....the line on the ball would be positioned vertically on the lie board or ground (the ball would be positioned on the flat board so the line was vertical, straight up and down). The bottom edge of the face impact tape along the blade edge had incremental markings, like a ruler emenating from the center "0" in both toe and heel directions. When you hit your ball and it left a mark on the face, if you didn't hit it dead flat/square, you would not get a vertical line, but an angled line. Supposedly (forgot the exact details now) you draw a line along the line left by the ball, and from the center of the line to where it crossed the gradations on the bottom edge, they would give an indication of how many degrees the lie was off...don't know if that description was clear, but we did it both ways simultaneously and provded that to the fitter who was amazed at the extent of info he had to work with, lol.

The proof was in the pudding....before I did that, my son was hitting bad fades, after the fitter changed his lie angles according to the tape information, he was hitting very nice slight little draws like he wanted to.

I think you can use almost any kind of masking tape that will scuff up when you hit the ground (or lie board). If you do the face-method, then the black marker lines on the ball should equally transfer to masking tape, and the angle of the line (if not flushed straight up and down) will give an indication as to how off you are by the degree of the angle of the mark on the face. Makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymandave View Post
Other than Golf Works who has this product and is there a alternative or something found at the local hardware store?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Tour Card

You might get by with using masking tape on a driving range mat. The whole purpose is to see where your club is bottoming out and it doesn't take anything exotic to do it.
You also can use a very thin piece of plywood. Most surfaces will leave a mark on tape if you hit off it. How about part of an address label instead of tape. You most likely have it right there in your house.
ASB
Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Golf Enthusiast

Thanks for the ideas, I use the mark on the ball all the time. I mark my balls as a matter of course so I am always aware of where it strikes the face.
I have tried masking tape it works OK just wondered if there was some other magical tape I could use. Golf Smith has a tape I think I will use.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 AM
U.S. Open Winner

Most any masking tape will work fine for this, Not as easy to see the results as the kind of tape designed for this, since it doesn't change colors like the impact tape does. But it works the same way You can use a felt tip pen to make the sole of the club red or blue in color and then hit balls off one of those mats at a driving range. Where the sold contacts the mat the color will get worn off and tell you what part of the sole is contacting the ground. Pretty simple really. A little Car Wax will work just as well if you are hitting off a hard piece of plastic or plywood. Contact with the hard surface will remove the wax from the sole of the club so you can see where contact occurs.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Claret Jug

Impact tape:

Amazon.com: impact tape golf: Sports & Outdoors

Impact & Lie Angle tape (combo sheet):

Impact Marking Stickers: Assorted (Box of 410) » Golf Tools & Supplies » Golf Club Components » by Monark Golf

Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Tournament Winner

Send a message via AIM to indacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls9999 View Post
From an old post of mine on this topic elsewhere in here:

I have/came across 2 kinds of impact tape.

1st type impact tape - typical strip on the bottom sole of the iron, you have indications of hitting it either in the middle, towards the toe or the heel....the fitter will know how much to bend them.

When I did my son's irons when he was in high school (we did every iron, hit 3 balls each), we also included this other kind of tape simultaneously:

2nd type of impact tape: - this one you put on the face of the iron...I guess is helps to see where you are hitting the ball as well as the lie angle. The bottom edge of the tape had little gradations on it. The 'where you are hitting the ball' is obvious if you are covering the face. But there was a procedure to using it for lie angle.... you had to put a 'black strip' with a marker on your ball (that would transfer to the tape on the face of the iron when struck)....the line on the ball would be positioned vertically on the lie board or ground (the ball would be positioned on the flat board so the line was vertical, straight up and down). The bottom edge of the face impact tape along the blade edge had incremental markings, like a ruler emenating from the center "0" in both toe and heel directions. When you hit your ball and it left a mark on the face, if you didn't hit it dead flat/square, you would not get a vertical line, but an angled line. Supposedly (forgot the exact details now) you draw a line along the line left by the ball, and from the center of the line to where it crossed the gradations on the bottom edge, they would give an indication of how many degrees the lie was off...don't know if that description was clear, but we did it both ways simultaneously and provded that to the fitter who was amazed at the extent of info he had to work with, lol.

The proof was in the pudding....before I did that, my son was hitting bad fades, after the fitter changed his lie angles according to the tape information, he was hitting very nice slight little draws like he wanted to.

I think you can use almost any kind of masking tape that will scuff up when you hit the ground (or lie board). If you do the face-method, then the black marker lines on the ball should equally transfer to masking tape, and the angle of the line (if not flushed straight up and down) will give an indication as to how off you are by the degree of the angle of the mark on the face. Makes sense to me.
This is great advice...we use the thin blue "painters" tape as it scuffs easier.

One note of advice:

Before you take your impact/scuff marks, take about 6-8 practice swings. That is about how many swings it takes to loosen the tendons and not ehough to get too loose/sloppy.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Weekend Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrokebettor View Post
You might get by with using masking tape on a driving range mat. The whole purpose is to see where your club is bottoming out and it doesn't take anything exotic to do it.
You also can use a very thin piece of plywood. Most surfaces will leave a mark on tape if you hit off it. How about part of an address label instead of tape. You most likely have it right there in your house.
ASB
I was just going to mention the above. Economical wide masking tape. Also you may want to mark the ball your hitting with a large dot about the size of a dime (felt marker in your favorite color)
Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Claret Jug

I like marking the ball with a vertical line with a sharpie and aligning it with the marking in the vertical position, and see if the line transferred to the club face is also vertical on the club face. Getting some useful information on what's happening when my face meets the ball much the same way when I look at tee paint marks on the bottom of my driver to see if I'm hitting off-center and if they are coming into the face straight-on or at an angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I was just going to mention the above. Economical wide masking tape. Also you may want to mark the ball your hitting with a large dot about the size of a dime (felt marker in your favorite color)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM
U.S. Open Winner

a Vertical line on the ball as Bulls mentions, works much better than a big dot on the ball. You not only see WHERE on the clubface you hit the ball, but also if the impact line is vertical on the clubface. TWO points to Bulls for this one.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Tournament Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePutt View Post
a Vertical line on the ball as Bulls mentions, works much better than a big dot on the ball. You not only see WHERE on the clubface you hit the ball, but also if the impact line is vertical on the clubface. TWO points to Bulls for this one.
Actually THREE points for Bull.

The more of the vertical line you see on the ball, the longer the contact between ball and face occur...longer contact = longer distance.

We used to paint one side of our range balls and informed the players that larger the dot/circle that the paint transferred to the face, the greater the contact was.

We ended up quitting that a few years ago when players were complaining about how hard it was to remove paint from the heads.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Claret Jug

I am not sure what is up with the ball covers at one of the ranges I use, but on a clean face they will leave a very full, detailed mark where it hits the club (that shows the dimples), as if the ball is covered with 'eraser' material. 44 balls later (if I practice with just one club) I typically have a triangle of ball-cover caked onto the clubface, wide near the sole, narrowing towards the sweetspot.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Tournament Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
I am not sure what is up with the ball covers at one of the ranges I use, but on a clean face they will leave a very full, detailed mark where it hits the club (that shows the dimples), as if the ball is covered with 'eraser' material. 44 balls later (if I practice with just one club) I typically have a triangle of ball-cover caked onto the clubface, wide near the sole, narrowing towards the sweetspot.
The reason they leave these marks is most likely after they clean/wash them they are either using too strong a soap solutIon and/ or too little rinse.

Nice benefit fir you!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Claret Jug

Wow...every now and then I may come up with something useful, lol .

I'll tell you what leave marks on a driver face....sand. I almost puked when I brought my new driver to San Antonio one thanksgiving and we played at The Quarry. The driving range had a bunch of sand on the grass, lots of it, and rolling the balls on the wet grass, close enough I can bend down and pick them up and put them on the tee made them pick up sand, like breaded cutlets....and when that sand is trapped between the ball and the club face, ouchie. Don't know why I didn't realize that was going to happen, perhaps I was lazy at the time (was early morning). I almost puked when we were done on the range and walking to my cart looking at the club face....deep cuts from sand particles all over the place. I don't do that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indacup View Post
Actually THREE points for Bull.

The more of the vertical line you see on the ball, the longer the contact between ball and face occur...longer contact = longer distance.

We used to paint one side of our range balls and informed the players that larger the dot/circle that the paint transferred to the face, the greater the contact was.

We ended up quitting that a few years ago when players were complaining about how hard it was to remove paint from the heads.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Tournament Winner

Quote:

I'll tell you what leave marks on a driver face....sand. I almost puked when I brought my new driver to San Antonio one thanksgiving and we played at The Quarry. The driving range had a bunch of sand on the grass, lots of it, and rolling the balls on the wet grass, close enough I can bend down and pick them up and put them on the tee made them pick up sand, like breaded cutlets....and when that sand is trapped between the ball and the club face, ouchie. Don't know why I didn't realize that was going to happen, perhaps I was lazy at the time (was early morning). I almost puked when we were done on the range and walking to my cart looking at the club face....deep cuts from sand particles all over the place. I don't do that anymore.

Yup...and those pit marks are impossibile to remove.....been there, done that.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:18 PM
U.S. Open Winner

What you found with the sand is one reason when I hit balls at the range. I hit the dirter balls with my irons, and NOT with my driver or woods. I save the cleanest balls for last when I hit my longer clubs. Saves wear and tear on the woods for sure. What you noticed with your driver is why a Sand Wedge wears out faster than any other club in your bag. Hitting shots out of the bunker with your wedge is hard on the clubface. more so than any other shot you hit. A brand new sand wedge will look old after only one practice sessions.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Claret Jug

Heck, that's exactly what I do now, lol. At the range I'll start with 3-4 balls each GW, PW, 9i, 8i, 7i, 6i, 5i, 4i....then hybrids, fairway, and driver, but I'll weed out all the older/uglier/dirtier balls first with the GW-PW-9i and save the best looking balls for driver, making sure when I put one on the tee, I give a swipe with my thumb on the back side of the ball that will be hit.

Quote:
What you found with the sand is one reason when I hit balls at the range. I hit the dirter balls with my irons, and NOT with my driver or woods. I save the cleanest balls for last when I hit my longer clubs. Saves wear and tear on the woods for sure. What you noticed with your driver is why a Sand Wedge wears out faster than any other club in your bag. Hitting shots out of the bunker with your wedge is hard on the clubface. more so than any other shot you hit. A brand new sand wedge will look old after only one practice sessions.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Tournament Winner

Quote:

You can clean those marks up with wet/dry sand paper....no problem.

Also, if you ever get a skymark that does not get to the bare metal...WD-40 works wonders for repair.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Claret Jug

Yes, true on driver faces....I clean them up before selling on Ebay.

In what way do you use WD-40? To remove scratches like car compound? I often will Turtle Wax my driver dome and that coating prevents marks from an occasional semi-skyball....put it on thick, let it dry, buff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indacup View Post
You can clean those marks up with wet/dry sand paper....no problem.

Also, if you ever get a skymark that does not get to the bare metal...WD-40 works wonders for repair.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 AM
U.S. Open Winner

I buy used drivers at times when I find a model that I like at a good price. If the head has sky marks on top, I just use a little car polishing compound to clean up the paint and they look good as new just about every time. As for scratdhs on the face. I just sand them out with 240 grit wet or dry paper and then move down to 320 grit if needed. I also sand the face from toe to heal, never top to bottom. I want any small sanding lines to go side to side, NOT up and down. Can't alway get ALL of the marks off the face, but most of them come out and the club looks a lot better than when I purchased it, and a lot better than most of the drivers I see in use. And as Bulls mentioned, a little car wax on the crown of your woods will help prevent sky marks and make cleaning up any marks you do get easier to fix.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Claret Jug

I've done the fine sandpaper sanding myself on driver faces and brings them looking very nice (before selling on Ebay), but I've tried to minimize that as I suspect you can over do that and reduce the face thickness appreciably?

I noticed some of the new drivers prevent you from doing that with those etchings on the face, and especially the black faced drivers (like the Callaway Razr Black). Yes, noticed that myself, sanding front to back and not top to bottom, lol. I've done the car compound (not the heavy stuff) and yes, it can take lots of little scratches out and follow up with nice polishing wax and they do look super. I don't understand why some people on Ebay take photos of stuff that looks like they dragged it through the mud...appears like they didn't even take the effort to wash it with soap. I often say, it's my photos (cropped, squared, setup with proper lighting) that does most of my Ebay selling for me.

Quote:
I buy used drivers at times when I find a model that I like at a good price. If the head has sky marks on top, I just use a little car polishing compound to clean up the paint and they look good as new just about every time. As for scratdhs on the face. I just sand them out with 240 grit wet or dry paper and then move down to 320 grit if needed. I also sand the face from toe to heal, never top to bottom. I want any small sanding lines to go side to side, NOT up and down. Can't alway get ALL of the marks off the face, but most of them come out and the club looks a lot better than when I purchased it, and a lot better than most of the drivers I see in use. And as Bulls mentioned, a little car wax on the crown of your woods will help prevent sky marks and make cleaning up any marks you do get easier to fix.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:13 AM
U.S. Open Winner

The face of a driver is NOT the thin really. in the range of .100" to .125" if I remember correctly. I'm sure IndaCup would know for sure. So sanding the face enough to remove small marks from sand isn't going to hurt anything. In fact is should make the face slightly Hotter, was isn't all bad. The thinner the face the more it will flex and spring back. Until you get it too thin and it caves in and it's junk. But I doubt you could sand it enough with 240 grit wet or dry to do any harm The score lines are a lot deeper than the scratch marks I've found of used drivers so it's not a problem really.
And you're right about the new Black face clubs. Can't sand them without removing the black finish. so that's a new subject to deal with.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Claret Jug

OK, great...good to know. I was just worried about doing that to a club I was going to sell on Ebay (obviously, as used), so I really did as minimal as it took to take most of the little scratches out. That's right about the score lines...they're way deeper than any scratches or sanding I would be doing.

Quote:
The face of a driver is NOT the thin really. in the range of .100" to .125" if I remember correctly. I'm sure IndaCup would know for sure. So sanding the face enough to remove small marks from sand isn't going to hurt anything. In fact is should make the face slightly Hotter, was isn't all bad. The thinner the face the more it will flex and spring back. Until you get it too thin and it caves in and it's junk. But I doubt you could sand it enough with 240 grit wet or dry to do any harm The score lines are a lot deeper than the scratch marks I've found of used drivers so it's not a problem really.
And you're right about the new Black face clubs. Can't sand them without removing the black finish. so that's a new subject to deal with.