Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group  

Go Back   Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group > Gear Gossip > Equipment Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Talk For all of your golf equipment (woods, irons, putters, shafts, golf balls, golf bags, etc.) discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Tour Card

Send a message via AIM to Will
Difference in "Tour" and just normal clubs?

I wasn't sure if this should be in equipment talk or here, as its more of just a general wondering rather than a specific club question, so move it if need be.

Whats the difference between specifically drivers deemed "Tour" drivers and the same models that dont carry that distinction?
Hybrid (3) - Cleveland Launcher
Irons (4-SW) - Callaway X20s
Wedges (60*)- Titleist Vokey
Putter - Odyssey White Hot XG #1
Old 01-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Out of Bounds
Tournament Winner

Re: Difference in "Tour" and just normal clubs?

Moved to the proper forum.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Out of Bounds
Green Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
I wasn't sure if this should be in equipment talk or here, as its more of just a general wondering rather than a specific club question, so move it if need be.

Whats the difference between specifically drivers deemed "Tour" drivers and the same models that dont carry that distinction?
It depends on your def of "tour" it could mean "Tour Van or Tour issue or Tour only" Or a retail model of the "tour" head.

What "Tour" means in my first quotations is a head made for tour use only. They do not mass produce these heads and you can not just go into a golf shop and by them. "TOUR" heads are usually set dead square or open or closed slightly depending on what the player they are made for wants. Also the center of gravity is slightly different than a retail head. When golf club manufacturers are making golf clubs they make them for the average golfer. They make clubs so that they are very easy to hit. Pro's and really good ball striking amateurs do not like this because they usually spin them to much or can't maximize their distance.

So manufacturers usually make heads that will fit the pro's the best and 98% of the general public would hate these clubs because they are not draw biased and the center of gravity is in a different position.

Also being a tour club, they are more closely watched in terms of getting the exact loft and COR to be as close to perfect as they can giving that tour player every advantage they can get.

A retail "tour" can just mean that it is probably a little more square and might be offering a different shaft like the taylor made "tour preferred" drivers.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Out of Bounds
Tournament Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post

Whats the difference between specifically drivers deemed "Tour" drivers and the same models that don't carry that distinction?
Spined shaft, head weight is what's advertised, better quality shaft, and the swing weight is what is on the tag. Can be a true neutral face on the club head too. Not worth the extra bucks in my book.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Out of Bounds
Green Jacket

I could give you a longer answer on "tour" wedges and also "tour" irons, but you asked about the drivers....

Also a "tour" driver depending on the company could mean a totally different titanium, or fordging on irons.

Nike however uses the same material on their "tour" heads as they do their retail.

Last edited by Nikeguy07 : 01-13-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Tour Card

Send a message via AIM to Will

Huh, cool, thanks for the info. Id always wondered about that.
Hybrid (3) - Cleveland Launcher
Irons (4-SW) - Callaway X20s
Wedges (60*)- Titleist Vokey
Putter - Odyssey White Hot XG #1
Old 01-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Claret Jug

One other thing is head shape.

For instance, the "regular" Nike Sasquatch driver has a broad, wide head, while the SQ Tour has a deeper face and a subsequently less broad overall footprint. The HiBore has similar differences between the street model and the Tour model.
The TaylorMade R7's 460 and 425 TP's also have slightly deeper faces than their "standard" counterparts and the 425 TP is one degree open at address and I believe that the 460 TP is neutral.

I have both the SQ Tour and the TaylorMade 425 TP and although my 425 is in my bag, I still love hitting the SQ and I'll switch them out every once in a while.

I absolutely love the both of them.

-JP
HYBRID/4-WOOD: Nike CPR/NIKE SQ
IRONS (2-PW): Snake Eyes 600B
WEDGES: 51 & 55 deg. Snake Eyes 655TM
PUTTER: Odyssey Dual Force II #2

Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 AM
Golf Enthusiast

In general, the "Tour" labelled clubs have a square or open face angle with little or no internal draw bias weighting (Callaway's Tour Draw models are the exception). They usually have a little more tip stiff and less torquey shaft in them as well.