Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group  

Go Back   Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group > Gear Gossip > Equipment Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Talk For all of your golf equipment (woods, irons, putters, shafts, golf balls, golf bags, etc.) discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 11:48 AM
That wasn't chicken!
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to GolfSavage Send a message via Yahoo to GolfSavage
Alien Golf DS9 irons

Yesterday I was in a local second-hand sporting goods store (Play It Again Sports) seeing what they had, and saw a set of these Alien Golf DS9 irons 3-PW. I'd heard of Alien Wedges, and had played with a guy who swore by them, but had never seen thier other clubs.

The swing weight felt nice, and the head shape reminded me a bit of Pings. They're a cavity back, steel shafts, and longer than standard, which I like (the 5 iron is about an inch longer than one in the current set I play). They had them clearance priced at $39.99, so I was sorely tempted. Then I picked up the 6 iron, and noticed something between the ferrule and the hosel. It was masking tape! I grabbed the head and twisted the shaft, and it pulled right out. Someone had wrapped some tape around the shaft and shoved it into the clubhead so it wouldn't fall off. So I pointed it out to the manager, and he said he'd take another $10 off! I asked about their return policy, and he said I had three days to bring them back for a refund or store credit! So I bought them for $30 and change, epoxied the 6 iron head back onto the shaft last night, and I will be heading to the range this afternoon to try them out. I'll also probably use them to play a full round tomorrow.

Anyone else have experience with the Alien irons? What little I can find on them has been fairly positive.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Wazmankg
Re: Alien Golf DS9 irons

I heard that they're great sticks...

except that if you hit the ground with them the heads break off.

JK.

Let us know how they work out for you.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2011 US Open Pick Em Champ
2011 Yahoo Fantasy Golf Champ
2009 Womens British Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world... those who divide the world into 2 kinds of people and those who don't." - author unknown
"They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Golf Enthusiast

I have an Alien 3 and 4 hybrid. Got them brand new a few years ago for like $50 total. I have no complaints about them.
MX-17's 3-pw
TP Mills #5 Putter
Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 PM
That wasn't chicken!
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to GolfSavage Send a message via Yahoo to GolfSavage

So far so good with the clubs. I hit the shorter irons (7-pw) better than the other set I was using, haven't had to use the 6 yet (the one I epoxied), and the 5 iron is ok. The 3 and 4 may be either swapped out with the 3 and 4 from my other set, or replaced with hybrids. I want to get the Bang-O-Matic hybrids, they are the best I've tried. Just a matter of having some spare fundage. I'll be going to the PGA Show in Orlando next week, so maybe I'll see something there that will change my mind!