Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group  

Go Back   Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group > Gear Gossip > Equipment Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Talk For all of your golf equipment (woods, irons, putters, shafts, golf balls, golf bags, etc.) discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Tournament Winner

Replacing Spikes

I'm sure everybody has a spike replacement nightmare story. Well here's mine.

I've got a pair of Nike TW 8.5's from last year. These have the "Q-LOK fastening system makes changing spikes as easy as changing shoes." AWESOME!

Due to a frost delay, I had some extra time. So, I attempted to replace the spikes in my shoes this past Sunday morning, prior to my tee time.

I was able to get the old spikes out with too much trouble. But, I did borrow the spike wrench from the shop. Using the divot tool/spike remover is just plain masochistic if you ask me.

I clean out the accumulated dirt/much the best I could and began the reinstall.

Three spikes into the first shoe, I destroy one of the new spikes. Using metal tools to install plastic material can do that, especially when said plastic doesn't want to turn. Anyway, I couldn't remember if the big corporate machine provided extras when you buy a set of replacements. So, now I'm starting to worry about having enough spikes.

About 4 or 5 into shoe one, I think I've installed the spike properly....it did turn. But, it pops out. Now, I have to check the other previously installed spikes and make sure they're "locked in". Two of them are not. Take those out. Recheck for dirt/mud. Try to scrape that out. Reinstall continues. Am I turning the spike enough? not enough? too much? I start thinking about getting a refund on my spikes and using that $$$ towards some new shoes.

I finally finish. I give each spike a little tug to install proper fit. All is well. The frost freeze passes and it's time to hit some balls. It's 35-40* and I'm playing golf. Don't get that funny look. There was no wind. So, life is good.

I forget about the spikes until the back nine and take a look. I'm missing 1 on the left shoe and 2 and the right shoe. I don't notice any difference while addressing the ball, and fortunately, I'm riding in a cart. So, the missing spikes are not an issue. (Remember the steel spike days and finding out you lost one by walking on some concrete and almost throwing your back out cuz that back right/left spike is gone? I miss those days.)

After completing the round, I get the truck and change shoes. Total Spike Loss=4. Yes, I lost another spike between holes 15 and 18....AND we skipped 17 due to the slow play ahead of us!

I'm buying new shoes this week.

Titleist 905S 10.5* Graphite Design YS-6 X-shaft
Titleist 904F 3W Graphite Design YS-7 X-shaft
Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 2-Hybrid
Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 3-Hybrid
Ping i5 4-PW Irons
Mizuno MP T 51*, 60* Wedges
Odyssey Whitehot XG Sabretooth
Nike One Tour D

2007 GRW Master's Pick 'Em Champion
2009 GRW US Women's Open Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Grand Slam

Re: Replacing Spikes

Hackblack - I don't understand how they could fall out if they were put in properly. Were they defective?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Green Jacket

My SP-3's use the Q-LOK system and I too have had problems putting in new spikes.

Since they're only 3-sided, the spikes really need a flat mounting surface on the shoe and have to be turned just the right amount amount. After a couple of years, the soles of my shoes have become somewhat curved and not flat at all. I finally got the knack of bending the sole flat and putting in the spikes just right, so I'm no longer losing spikes.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11
Old 01-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Tournament Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane View Post
Hackblack - I don't understand how they could fall out if they were put in properly. Were they defective?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackBlack View Post
I finally finish. I give each spike a little tug to install proper fit. All is well.
That just goes to show that "a little tug" is not the same as swinging a club around your body at 100+ mph while keeping your feet stationary.

Ping i5 4-PW Irons
Nike One Tour D

Old 01-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Claret Jug

Strongly recommend Footjoys. The attachment system seems to me to be quite effective. It's easy to change out spikes if you follow a simple procedure. When you first get the shoes, remove the spikes and give each socket a little squirt of WD-40. Then turn the spikes in until they seem tight, then one more click for insurance. Using this process, I've never lost a spike from a Footjoy shoe, and I've never had any trouble changing them when needed. The WD-40 seems to keep them from seizing up no matter what sort of gunk you get into.

I also bought a good T-handle spike wrench for about $5 so I can do the job at my leisure.

Callaway Diablo Edge 11
Mizuno F-60 3W 15
Bridgestone J36 22 and 25 hybrids
Titleist AP-2 5I-GW
Vokey 54 SW
Cleveland CG15 56 SW
Golfsmith Enterprise Putter

"Your proper place on the course is directly behind the group in front of you, not directly ahead of the group behind you."
Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Claret Jug

Yes, a "T" handle spike wrench is definitely needed, but I've also found that when it comes to removing stubborn spikes, a hefty pair of pliers helps too. I use them to pry up the edges of the spike's base (where they ratchet in along the top edge of the opening) which dislodges the "teeth" making it easier to unscrew the spike itself. This isn't needed for all of the spikes, just the ones that are particularly ornery. I have FootJoy's as well and I think that their spike design works quite nicely and there are a wide variety of spike styles made for them too.

-JP
HYBRID/4-WOOD: Nike CPR/NIKE SQ
IRONS (2-PW): Snake Eyes 600B
WEDGES: 51 & 55 deg. Snake Eyes 655TM
PUTTER: Odyssey Dual Force II #2

Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Claret Jug

I have some Nikes with the QLOK system also. I had trouble with them also recently, particularly with the new QLOK spikes, which do not seem like an improvement. They are easy to cut up, particularly with the cheap replacement tool that comes with them. I think I have it figured out now though: Firstly, I bought a fancy spike-wrench at Target, for around $7. Secondly, I install them as follows: The spikes have have six 'points', and to install them they need a 1/6th turn. So when I install them, I simply place them in, take note of the orientation of one of the spikes (with respect to the shoe) and turn the 'next' spike into that orientation. It is frustrating that there is no real feedback ('click') when they lock in, but that simple method has worked well for me.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Claret Jug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
Strongly recommend Footjoys. The attachment system seems to me to be quite effective. It's easy to change out spikes if you follow a simple procedure. When you first get the shoes, remove the spikes and give each socket a little squirt of WD-40. Then turn the spikes in until they seem tight, then one more click for insurance. Using this process, I've never lost a spike from a Footjoy shoe, and I've never had any trouble changing them when needed. The WD-40 seems to keep them from seizing up no matter what sort of gunk you get into.

I also bought a good T-handle spike wrench for about $5 so I can do the job at my leisure.
Ditto. I think the key is the extra turn.... it seems to lock the spikes securely into the threads. FJ is by far the best spikeless shoe out there imo.

I bought the FJ ratchet handle thingamajig for like $10.... it comes with a handy ratchet, and two bits -- one with several teeth, and one with the old, simple two-prong setup. The bits fit into my cordless drill, and changing spikes has never been easier with this setup. I can do a spike change in about the same amount of time that someone could put them on and tie them.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:48 PM
U.S. Open Winner

I have FootJoy shoes and Nike shoes both. Can't say I've ever had any problems replacing spikes on any of my shoes. I just use the wrench that comes in the box of new spikes, and I replace the spikes one at a time as they wear out. I don't see any reason to replace all the spikes at one time, as they don't all wear out at the same rate due to how you walk and swing your clubs.

I don't want to sound nasty here, but it sounds like a problem with the operator. To be honest, there are some people that can work with tools, and there are others that should not be allowed to own tools. My brother in law is an example of someone that should be allowed to own tools, He can't hang a picture on a wall and get it level. Takes him over an hour to hang one picture and it's not even close to being level. Others can do the job in 2 minutes and it's perfectly level.
It's all a matter of being good with your hands and having the talent to do the job at hand. It's like working on a computer. Some people can buy extra memory and install it no problem. Other would be better off paying someone else $30 to install it. Sorry if I've insulted anyone, it's just my opinion on this topic.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePutt View Post
I don't want to sound nasty here, but it sounds like a problem with the operator. To be honest, there are some people that can work with tools, and there are others that should not be allowed to own tools. My brother in law is an example of someone that should be allowed to own tools, He can't hang a picture on a wall and get it level. Takes him over an hour to hang one picture and it's not even close to being level. Others can do the job in 2 minutes and it's perfectly level.
It's all a matter of being good with your hands and having the talent to do the job at hand. It's like working on a computer. Some people can buy extra memory and install it no problem. Other would be better off paying someone else $30 to install it. Sorry if I've insulted anyone, it's just my opinion on this topic.
I was thinking the same thing because I have a difficult time changing the spikes in my shoes. I find that all I need to do is to look helpless and then some guy will come over and offer to do it for me. Perhaps you guys should try my approach.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Claret Jug

Oneputt: QLOK is actually a poorly functioning spike fastening system, that even someone with 2 right hands might struggle with. And the new QLOK spikes are even worse than the old ones. I believe the problem is with the designer/manufacturer. Do your Nikes have QLOK spikes?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator
Ultimate Spammer

It's tough to work with tools when you're........

Old 01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Tournament Winner

Quote:
I have FootJoy shoes and Nike shoes both. Can't say I've ever had any problems replacing spikes on any of my shoes. I just use the wrench that comes in the box of new spikes, and I replace the spikes one at a time as they wear out. I don't see any reason to replace all the spikes at one time, as they don't all wear out at the same rate due to how you walk and swing your clubs.

If you read all of the replies, everyone who has shoes with QLoks agrees that the spikes are a problem. The Q-Loks are not like the FJ's. With the FJ's you just tighten until they don't tighten anymore and you are done. Like I said in my original post, and 'straightshooter' confirmed, you have to find the spike that's over the lock and use that as a reference. Then turn the spike by the hole to where the first spike was. If you don't turn enough, it's not locked. If you turn too much, it's not locked. AND, when it is LOKed, there is no audible "click" telling you that it's been done correctly.

Ping i5 4-PW Irons
Nike One Tour D

Old 01-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Claret Jug

PS: Hackblack: Thanks for ranking on those piece of , garbage, useless, designed by a kindergartener, smelly and *new* now ugly looking QLOK spikes! I should have started a thread like this one when I encountered my problems with them: You provided a great service to those considering buying a new pair of golf-shoes!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:41 PM
U.S. Open Winner

Straight, Yes, my Nike shoes do have Q-lock spikes. And I stand corrected. Looking at my Nike shoes, it appears that all the spikes are original. So I have not in fact replaced any of them up to this point. Just to be fair, I decided to remove a spike and install a new one from the box of Stinger spikes I have on hand. And I must say, IT WASN'T EASY. It was in fast a royal pain in the neck. If I ever find one of the spikes in need of replacement, I will be sure to do it at home where I have everything I need to do the job. Compressed air to clean out any dirt under and inside the socket, and a little WD-40 might not be a bad idea.

P.S. I just tried again with the Q-loc spike, this time with a little WD-40. It did work a little eaiser, but still not at all easy. So to HackBlack; my apology in full. You are completed correct, these Q-loc spikes are really hard to replace. Hard to get out, and more so to get back in properly. I can only hope the factory spike in my Nike SP 8's last a long time, as I'm not looking forward to replaceing them any time soon.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Tournament Winner

Quote:
Straight, Yes, my Nike shoes do have Q-lock spikes. And I stand corrected. Looking at my Nike shoes, it appears that all the spikes are original. So I have not in fact replaced any of them up to this point. Just to be fair, I decided to remove a spike and install a new one from the box of Stinger spikes I have on hand. And I must say, IT WASN'T EASY. It was in fast a royal pain in the neck. If I ever find one of the spikes in need of replacement, I will be sure to do it at home where I have everything I need to do the job. Compressed air to clean out any dirt under and inside the socket, and a little WD-40 might not be a bad idea.

P.S. I just tried again with the Q-loc spike, this time with a little WD-40. It did work a little eaiser, but still not at all easy. So to HackBlack; my apology in full. You are completed correct, these Q-loc spikes are really hard to replace. Hard to get out, and more so to get back in properly. I can only hope the factory spike in my Nike SP 8's last a long time, as I'm not looking forward to replaceing them any time soon.
It's all good. Glad you got to take part in the QLok experience.

I did use the WD-40 idea when replacing the 4 that fell out last week. That did help. Thanks to fourputt and oneputt for that idea. I played yesterday and finished the round with all my spikes intact.

The conspiracy theorist in me finds it odd that 4 spikes fell out last week and that's how many extra spikes were in the set I bought. Coincidence? I think not. BWAA HAA HAA!!!

Ping i5 4-PW Irons
Nike One Tour D

Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 PM
U.S. Open Winner

Since you were dealing with plastic parts, I'd have to think it was only that much harder to do when it was cold outside. Hard enough to work with those spikes when the plastic is reasonably warm, much less when the parts are cold and that much harder.