Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group  

Go Back   Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group > Out on the Links > General Golf Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Golf Discussion For general golf topics such as etiquette, rules, golf stories, Golf Channel programming, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Grand Slam

David Feherty Show on Golf Channel

Anyone catch this? I like the guy, but he gets really goofy with the self-deprication, self-flagillation what have you.... don't know if I can stand to watch his antics for more than 1 show, and an entire hour, is about 30 min too much.

He talks to a chicken statue on his desk, picks it up and uses its beak to press 'delete' on the computer, makes many goofy faces.... not exactly my type of comedic 'schtick'. He'll probably have a nice assortment of golf guests, and perhaps it's the penalty I'll have to suffer to catch the interviews....this week it was a long segment with Lee Trevino.

And the one question he didn't ask Lee .... "what was the significance of the band-aid he used to wear on his wrist during his prime in tournment play?"
Old 06-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Claret Jug

Re: David Feherty Show on Golf Channel

Trevino interview was great. The rest of it...meh.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Old Geezer
U.S. Open Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls9999 View Post
And the one question he didn't ask Lee .... "what was the significance of the band-aid he used to wear on his wrist during his prime in tournment play?"
I always heard it was to cover the tattoo he had on his wrist in his heyday of playing tattoos were somewhat taboo.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Wazmankg

Quote:
Originally Posted by halk View Post
I always heard it was to cover the tattoo he had on his wrist in his heyday of playing tattoos were somewhat taboo.
I thought it was to cover a tat of his ex-wife's name. Feherty has a ready wit and is great in small doses. But imo, although he may be the wittiest, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to analysis. His mouth often runs ahead of his brain... a common trait amongst naturally funny people. I will check out his show, though.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2011 US Open Pick Em Champ
2011 Yahoo Fantasy Golf Champ
2009 Womens British Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world... those who divide the world into 2 kinds of people and those who don't." - author unknown
"They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Claret Jug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmankg View Post
I thought it was to cover a tat of his ex-wife's name. Feherty has a ready wit and is great in small doses. But imo, although he may be the wittiest, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to analysis. His mouth often runs ahead of his brain... a common trait amongst naturally funny people. I will check out his show, though.

You should definitely try to catch the first episode with Trevino. It's interesting to hear him talk about how he got started in golf. Feherty asked him who his heroes in golf were and he said he didn't have any because he didn't have access to the media coverage at the time. He said he had heard of Hogan and Nelson, but that was pretty much it. He said he had no clue in 1965 who Jack Nicklaus was.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Addminestrone
Green Jacket

I enjoyed the interview, but what was really distracting was the changing of camera angles every 3 seconds. And not just the front camera, side camera shots, but there was a ceiling camera, floor camera, wall camera, rear shot camera. All that flipping between cams was giving me a headache. And Feherty's droning on can get tiresome, but like I said, the Trevino interview was pretty good.

That's My Bag Baby!

Driver - Titleist 913 D3 8.5*
3 Wood - Titleist 913Fd 13.5*
Irons - 3-PW Titleist MB 712, Proj X 6.5
Titleist Spin Milled SM4 52*
Titleist Spin Milled SM4 56*
Titleist Spin Milled SM4 60*
Putter - S. Cameron Go Lo Select
Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Grand Slam

Yea, if they can tone down the nonsense, it could be an enjoyable show. I don't think David had to go into that extended version of him being an alcoholic/drug addict, certainly a short mention would have sufficed. I like the fact that the interview was lengthy... I often hate it when they advertise and interview and its like a 3-min piece. But there was a nice interview piece with Trevino done by George Lopez maybe last year?, that was nice (visited Lee at his home in Dallas). Evidently, Ferherty said Lee lives 'right around the corner' during his show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringin View Post
I enjoyed the interview, but what was really distracting was the changing of camera angles every 3 seconds. And not just the front camera, side camera shots, but there was a ceiling camera, floor camera, wall camera, rear shot camera. All that flipping between cams was giving me a headache. And Feherty's droning on can get tiresome, but like I said, the Trevino interview was pretty good.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Green Jacket

I agree with most of the comments already posted. I loved listening to Trevino. That's the type of personality that golf could really use now.
Vokey Spin Milled 56
Odyssey White Hot #7xg

Winner of 2009 Players Championship Pickem Contest

"Put means to place a thing where you want it. Putt means merely a vain attempt to do the same thing."
Old 06-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Tournament Winner

I really enjoy him. Ill keep watching. Not as good as Big Break though
Old 06-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Grand Slam

I enjoyed the comment Lee Trevino made about Tiger... "I can fix his problem in 10 sec.... just get rid of all those people trying to change you, lol.... YOU'RE TIGER WOODS!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfaddict View Post
I agree with most of the comments already posted. I loved listening to Trevino. That's the type of personality that golf could really use now.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Tour Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringin View Post
I work in the TV biz and I never understood why the field producer brings ten cameras with him. You need three, max. Golf Channel production team makes me scratch my head sometimes...
Old 06-22-2011, 05:38 AM
Tournament Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTUfirebird2008 View Post
Trevino interview was great. The rest of it...meh.
I agree perfectly.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Wazmankg

I watched it last night... the Trevino show. I enjoyed it, though I was online at the time and mostly just paid attention when Lee was speaking. I thought him talking about his addictions was fine considering it is his show and it was the first of (presumably) several. It was appropriate background info regarding what was no doubt a recent and profoundly life altering experience. It certainly answered the question for me "Is that David Feherty ? Geez he looks good. Has he had work done ?". I'll be watching it. Those of us who have been following the game for a long time have heard all of Trevino's stories but I learned a few things about Lee that I didn't know. It will be interesting to see what he can get out of some of his future guests who aren't so generally forthcoming.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2011 US Open Pick Em Champ
2011 Yahoo Fantasy Golf Champ
2009 Womens British Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world... those who divide the world into 2 kinds of people and those who don't." - author unknown
"They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Golf Enthusiast

my .02 is that i thought feherty was annoying on Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf on the Wii, and even more so on his own show.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Administrator
Ultimate Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinkthatPutt View Post
my .02 is that i thought feherty was annoying on Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf on the Wii, and even more so on his own show.
So the real David Feherty is more annoying than his virtual incarnation? That's funny.

Personally, I've always found him entertaining.......in small doses.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Tour Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyotrabuco View Post
I work in the TV biz and I never understood why the field producer brings ten cameras with him. You need three, max. Golf Channel production team makes me scratch my head sometimes...
I don't know whether the multiple cameras will be a regular thing. I think they were a device to experience the schitzoid, comic genius/recovering addict aspect of his life. I really enjoy him. A great many comedians are wrapped pretty tight. I think he will have some very good shows. I will definitely be there; but, if they keep the multiple camera shots, I will have to take dramamine.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Claret Jug

It has potential but I think it needs work. Lee was cool as a cucumber, as he always is but David...not so much. It definitely has potential. Kudos to GC for trying new stuff. Way better stuff than the bum in the pipe or the John Daly or the Hank Haney show. That Morning Drive things not too bad either.
2011 NFL Pick Em Champ

Life's hard. It's even harder if yur stoopud. - Arc 2010
Old 07-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Nasdaq40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls9999 View Post
I enjoyed the comment Lee Trevino made about Tiger... "I can fix his problem in 10 sec.... just get rid of all those people trying to change you, lol.... YOU'RE TIGER WOODS!!!"
Problem is ... at one time that was an asset but these days Woody is the biggest disgrace in the history of the PGA.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Claret Jug

I'm a huge Feherty fan.... I think he's great as an analyst, I enjoy listening to his telecasts when CBS is doing the gig.

But I must say that I've found his show to be a total letdown. Variety is okay.... whimsical? Not so much. I thought the Trevino piece was good. The Don Cheadle episode was awful.

Good concept, but I think he's trying to cram too much into one episode.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Golf Enthusiast

i retract my previous though on his show, that it is a complete waste of mind numbing time.... when he does the interviews, those are good... however, the "skit" where he is at like a lounge trying out the comedy, that needs to be cut out!