Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group  

Go Back   Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group > Out on the Links > General Golf Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Golf Discussion For general golf topics such as etiquette, rules, golf stories, Golf Channel programming, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Tour Card

Which tees do you play from? Is it based on handicap, superego, or peer pressure?

I play from the white tees. I am a 20+ handicap. I don't plan to move to the next highest tees until I'm in the single digits (actually until I can par the course from the white). When I can par the course from the blue, I'll move to the next set. Does anybody else use this same logic?

Just wondering why you choose to play from a certain tee.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Tour Card

Re: Which tees do you play from? Is it based on handicap, superego, or peer pressure?

I normally play the tee that is appropriate for my driving distance which is what everybody should do. If you can't reach a par 4 in two or a par 5 in three, you are playing from the wrong tees. Observing this rule of thumb would increase enjoyment and speed the round up.
ASB
Old 02-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Claret Jug

Re: Which tees do you play from? Is it based on handicap, superego, or peer pressure?

You should probably expect to be on them whites for awhile... I play the whites or anything around 6000 yards. This distance challenges me but every now and then tempts me to break 90. I'll probably stay there till I'm done.
2011 NFL Pick Em Champ

Life's hard. It's even harder if yur stoopud. - Arc 2010
Old 02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Old Geezer
U.S. Open Winner

I play the whites in the last eight or nine years I have moved up from the back tees, I've have lost a bit of the distance I use to have, I find the whites now days to be more suited to my distance.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Addminestrone
Green Jacket

I'll play whatever tees the guys I'm playing with feel comfortable with. I prefer the back tees because it's more challenging and I hit the ball far enough, but when I play with my Dad and some of the older or less experienced guys, I have no issues playing the whites. It ends up being a club or two at most difference on most holes for the 2nd shot, so it's not a big deal at all.

That's My Bag Baby!

Driver - Titleist 913 D3 8.5*
3 Wood - Titleist 913Fd 13.5*
Irons - 3-PW Titleist MB 712, Proj X 6.5
Titleist Spin Milled SM4 52*
Titleist Spin Milled SM4 56*
Titleist Spin Milled SM4 60*
Putter - S. Cameron Go Lo Select
Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM
U.S. Open Winner

I go by the total yardage for the course from the tee options I have to work with. I normal play from the tees that give me about 6500 yards or so. What COLOR tees that may be is NOT important to me. I will adjust my choice based on what the other members of my foursome want to play. If the other 3 want to play from the white or blue tees, then I am willing to go alone the them so as to speed up play and make things easier on everyone.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Wazmankg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan Project View Post
I play from the white tees. I am a 20+ handicap. I don't plan to move to the next highest tees until I'm in the single digits (actually until I can par the course from the white). When I can par the course from the blue, I'll move to the next set. Does anybody else use this same logic?

In a word - no. I don't have any designs on ever becoming a scratch golfer or really even getting to a point where even par is a reasonable expectation whenever I tee off. I realize how much time, lessons, practice and effort that would take even if I had the innate ability which I'm not sure is the case. I have no interest in putting that much into it anyway. I play for fun. I find it relaxing, challenging and enjoyable. I don't find practicing any of those things, though I do enjoy practicing my short game. But life's too short to be spending my free time doing things I don't enjoy.

That said, my best ever score for 18 is +5 and that was on a very short course... around 5600 yards. I've broken 80 3 times on 6000+ yard courses but they were also what I consider short for my game. 82 is my best at my home course, which I play from 6400 - the whites. The blues are 6700. I've played from them a few times and it really didn't impact my score or the way I played the course much. When I'm playing well I'll shoot 82-87 there. I finished the season at 12.4 which was more due to playing some easier courses than my home course my last 20 rounds, although my last 2 scores of the season there were 83 & 82. But I'd probably be closer to a 14, which is an 86+ from the whites there, if I played it exclusively. If I ever get into the single digits... and I do have a dream for when I retire in a couple years and am able to play much more, it will almost certainly be in the very high single digits. I've wondered how short a course I'd have to play in order to shoot par aside from just having a ridiculously lucky day. A par 72 with 4 400-ish par 5s, 10 300-ish par 4s and 4 100-ish par 3s would probably do it...something in the ~5000 yard range. That would give me 4 reachable par 5s and put some sort of wedge in my hands for my approach to the rest. I wouldn't shoot par every or even most of the time, but I could shoot par on that layout. I wouldn't find that satisfying, though. I could play that course with a 3 wood, wedge and putter and rarely want for another stick. But I digress... a lot... sorry.

I don't choose tees by their color but by the length of the course and even then it depends upon where the length is on the course. All 6400 yarders are not the same. 3 of the par 5s at my home course are short, around 500 yards, making it play longer than it's distance. A 500 yard par 5 doesn't do me any good. I can't get there in 2 anyway. It may as well be 560 for all the difference it makes. In fact the one that does play 540 uphill is where I've had my best average score and the most birdies. The green is well guarded with traps and there's OB right off the tee but it's easily avoidable and other than that it's a very straightforward hole. With a new course I'll start with the set closest to 6200-6400 yards then look at the individual hole yardages on the card. Anything much > 6700 yards is usually too much course for me. The key is really the length of the par 4s. If most of them are > 400 yards, I should probably drop back a set of tees. I like a variety of hole lengths which usually results in a variety of shot lengths and clubs I have to use, a course that makes me use every club in the bag being the ideal. In a nutshell (too late for that, isn't it ? ) , if all of my approaches are wedges and short irons it's too short for my tastes. If they're all woods & hybrids it's too long.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2011 US Open Pick Em Champ
2011 Yahoo Fantasy Golf Champ
2009 Womens British Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world... those who divide the world into 2 kinds of people and those who don't." - author unknown
"They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Wazmankg : 02-28-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Grand Slam

I always play from the forward tees

Have any of you ever played from there?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Old Geezer
U.S. Open Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane View Post

Yes I have, where I use to work we would take off work early on Tuesdays and play nine, we would alternate from back tees to the forward tees. When we played the forward tees the rule we had was you could only use three clubs plus putter, and those three clubs were your choice of irons, it was quite a bit of fun.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Quote:

Not since I was a beginner.... 10 years old. I'm going to try that this season. There's a significant difference in distance I think. There are 4-5 par 4s and 1 par 3 that are very long for me even from the whites. It will be interesting to see how I'd do from the forward tees on those.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world... those who divide the world into 2 kinds of people and those who don't." - author unknown
"They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Claret Jug

I can't. I have never seen any guy do that. Some courses have senior tees between the forward and middle but still...Even then men won't play the forward. I played a course that had and extra set called the executive tees but even there they had another set more forward for the women. I just couldn't do that no matter how lame my reason.
2011 NFL Pick Em Champ

Old 02-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

I don't recall off the top of my head what the forward tees setup is where I play, but I know I've seen guys playing from forward tees several times. In fact last year I saw a guy hitting from them in front of me. He could hit the ball too and he wasn't particularly short. He was the only player in his group playing from them and he looked to be the best player from what I could see. He may have been a senior practicing for the city tournament was all I could figure. There are 3 par 4s where if I don't hit a good drive from the whites....not just an ok one but a good one, I have zero chance of reaching the green especially if there's no roll that day. But playing the forward tees makes several holes ridiculously short as I recall. I'm going to check it out.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

Old 02-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Claret Jug

If ever I'm in a group and some guy moves up to them then I MIGHT join him. I swear I ain't ever seen a guy on them so far. When I'm unsure of what to do I ask myself...what would John Wayne do? Would he play them ladies tees? Nope. He would play the tips. Then I ask myself...should I play the tips? Heck no! I ain't John Wayne!

...seriously...some of the tracks I play give some serious yardage love from them tees. Some holes those tees are like 40 yards closer to the green. Man I bet I could go low on them though...
2011 NFL Pick Em Champ

Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Old Geezer
U.S. Open Winner

Give the forward tees a try sometime play the way my old office league played with three clubs and putter. You find out that it's a lot of fun and like the group I was playing with after a summer of alternating weeks as to the tees we played most if not all of us actually improved our game some. Especially playing irons only.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Tour Card

Quote:

i also play from the white tees, because of the same reason. my regular playing partner plays from the blues. he has an understanding of my limitations, and i have an understanding of his lack of them.

i picked up a tip that may help with my distance off the tee. waiting to try it when the weather breaks.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Claret Jug

Quote:
No offense, but if you were using that 'logic' now you'd play red (or other color forward) tees, executive courses, or if you don't have a good short-game you'd be stuck at a pitch and putt.

Quote:
I like ASB's answer. I like to play most of my approaches from feasible distances (with mid-iron or less).

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrokebettor View Post
I normally play the tee that is appropriate for my driving distance which is what everybody should do. If you can't reach a par 4 in two or a par 5 in three, you are playing from the wrong tees. Observing this rule of thumb would increase enjoyment and speed the round up.
ASB
Quote:

I once played from the children's tees (all about 150 yards from the hole) when I wanted to hit some irons. I would be man enough to play from the forward tees if they were rated for men: But I am too lazy to do the conversion myself.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Tour Card

I play from the Tee's in front of the "Pro" Tee's. Normally they are white but at the course I played on Friday they were blue...with black being the Pro's. My normal course using the white Tee's has a yardage of 6103.

My bag: Callaway XHot 9.5* driver, Cobra S3 Max 3 wood, Cobra 3 hybrid, Cobra 5 hybrid Cobra 3100 I/H irons, Calloway X series Jaw wedges (50*, 56*, 60*), Heavy putter.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:45 AM
Tour Card

I have always chosen by the length of the course at the particular tee. The last couple of years though it has been hard to find a course I can play that could challenge my distance as I got longer. The longest course I have played was about 7100yds I think and that wasn't too long for me. The course I usually play is 6500yds from the longest tee and I hit a lot of 3-woods and even a few 3-hybrids and 4-irons off the tee of the par-4s.

Last edited by jongoff09 : 02-29-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Claret Jug

I can't say I have, even though I've rotated at various times from the 3 additional sets of back tees. I've been thinking of playing the forward tees and just use my irons all the way to get more practice using them, which is the main reason for me to rotate tees.... to use clubs you don't normally use if you played from the same set of tees.

At one course we play now (no longer a private club member), the forward tees are considered 'senior' while the 2nd tees are the lady's tees (most places I've played have always had the 'lady's tees' up forward).

Quote:

Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Grand Slam

Quote:

I have heard of college coaches having their teams go and play from the forward tees. It's very good practice from time to time for your course management skills and short game. You can't just pull driver out everywhere because you bring different sets of trouble into play and also leave yourself in between yardages and so on. Interesting.

For saying that I have played one shot in my life from the forward tees. That was playing mixed foursomes with my mother and her tee shot went into the woods, so I hit a provisional.

I generally play from the backish tees. For the most part around 6800-7000 or so. Over 7000 and I'll balk at it a bit unless there are extenuating circumstances. My course back home is 7,460 yards from the back tees and I normally play that, but the fairways are bone hard and it doesn't play anything like that long. Another extenuating circumstance I came across in Phoenix last summer. It's at altitude and ing hot, so the ball goes miles (about 10% longer - I was hitting it Dustin Johnson distances - awesome) and my buddies refused to go back to longer tees than the 6500 they usually play. I think that's ridiculous, but hey ho. I still enjoyed hitting my 230 yard 4-irons.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Tour Card

This thread is very timely for me. As of Jan 1, I joined a new Club. The course I now play has two sets of men's tees: White - par 72 - 6,029 yds; Blue - Par 71 - 6,326 yds.

The guys that I play with all play from the whites. I feel like I should be playing from the blues (I am a 7 hdcp - the guys I play with are in the upper teens). Most of the holes play, basically, 10 - 15 yds longer from the blues. There is 1 hole that is a big difference between the two tees. From the whites, it is a 470 yd par 5 that I could reach with a 5 wd 2nd shot. From the blues, that hole is a 452 yd par 4 that I hit a 3 hybrid in for a 2nd shot. Playing from the blues would still leave me with a 6 iron or less on all but 2 of the par 4's.

I have been playing from the whites, because I don't want to come across as being all high and mighty about my golf game. To be honest, though, playing the whites is somewhat of a letdown for me. If I shoot a 5 over par, 77 from the whites, everyone thinks it was a great round for me. In actuality, a 5 over par from the whites doesn't even match my 7 handicap because the course is rated so easy from the white tees. A 5 over par from the blues, however, would best my handicap and I would be extremely happy. Because of this, I am contemplating being the only one in my group that plays fromt he blue tees.

What do you all think? Am I too wrapped up in this, or should I play the longer tees and feel like I am being challenged a little more?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Ultimate Spammer

Life's too short. Play the tees that make the game most enjoyable for you.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 PM
U.S. Open Winner

The two courses I play the most are Aurroa Hills, par72, and Meadow Hills, par 70. Aurora Hills is 6446 yards from the white tees, and 6735 from the Blues. Meadow Hills is 6122 and 6492 yards, Most of the time I play from the blue tees unless evryone else I'm partnered with want to play the whites. Red tees at Meadow Hills measure 5404 yards, 5549 yards at Aurora Hills.

jwags; I'd have to think that if you aren't having all that much fun playing from the white tees because the yardage is TOO low. Then YES. you should move back and enjoy the added challenge. The game is supposed to be FUN, and if you have more fun playing from the back tees, then you should play from the back tees. With a 7 handicap, I don't see any reason for you not to play from the Blues.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Claret Jug

Agreed. I always ask the group what tees they play. If they say the blues I insist they play the blues and I tell them I'm going to play the whites. I agree to go last on every tee and there has never been a problem. You don't have to swing from the same tees to yack it up and be cordial with people. Anyway once they see my drive they understand.
2011 NFL Pick Em Champ

Old 02-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwags View Post
This thread is very timely for me. As of Jan 1, I joined a new Club. The course I now play has two sets of men's tees: White - par 72 - 6,029 yds; Blue - Par 71 - 6,326 yds.

The guys that I play with all play from the whites. I feel like I should be playing from the blues (I am a 7 hdcp - the guys I play with are in the upper teens). Most of the holes play, basically, 10 - 15 yds longer from the blues. There is 1 hole that is a big difference between the two tees. From the whites, it is a 470 yd par 5 that I could reach with a 5 wd 2nd shot. From the blues, that hole is a 452 yd par 4 that I hit a 3 hybrid in for a 2nd shot. Playing from the blues would still leave me with a 6 iron or less on all but 2 of the par 4's.

I have been playing from the whites, because I don't want to come across as being all high and mighty about my golf game. To be honest, though, playing the whites is somewhat of a letdown for me. If I shoot a 5 over par, 77 from the whites, everyone thinks it was a great round for me. In actuality, a 5 over par from the whites doesn't even match my 7 handicap because the course is rated so easy from the white tees. A 5 over par from the blues, however, would best my handicap and I would be extremely happy. Because of this, I am contemplating being the only one in my group that plays fromt he blue tees.

What do you all think? Am I too wrapped up in this, or should I play the longer tees and feel like I am being challenged a little more?
That depends upon what your playing partners would think about you playing another set of tees and how much you care about it. The first time I played with Leaguegolf he played from the blues while me and my 2 buddies played from the whites. He out-drove us anyway, but nobody thought anything of it. If your game merits playing the blues, and it sounds as if it does, certainly they're aware of it. Just ask if they'd mind. You might get a little ribbing initially but I'd be surprised if it really bothered anyone.

Now if you were a 27 and wanted to play from the tips that's different. I played with "that guy" twice last year. He built me a really sweet putter, though. He explained that he plays in a lot of handicapped tournaments at longer courses and needed to play from back there to prepare. He had no business playing from there but it was no big deal. Actually he said he was a 27 but played like an 18 and kept trying to get me to play for money but that's another story.

Your post is a good example of what I meant by all 6400 yarders not being alike. Imo, there's no place for a 452 yard par 4 on a course measuring only 6326. But I've seen a lot of that sort of thing. 6326 is not long but 452 is a 3 shot hole for me barring extenuating circumstances(roll, downhill, etc.). So I understand your partners' reluctance to play from back there.

Edit - I just re-read your post. That hole is just silly. They should push the tees back 10-20 yards(if they can) make the longest set the blues, call it a par 5/par 72 and be done with it. Or even just change the tees and call it a par 5 for both. I don't think I've ever seen that sort of thing.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

Last edited by Wazmankg : 02-29-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Arc View Post
...seriously...some of the tracks I play give some serious yardage love from them tees. Some holes those tees are like 40 yards closer to the green. Man I bet I could go low on them though...
Not unless you have the short game to back up your boast. You still have to get the ball in the hole.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Tour Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaguegolf View Post
Life's too short. Play the tees that make the game most enjoyable for you.
This is how I look at it.

Quote:
Not unless you have the short game to back up your boast. You still have to get the ball in the hole.
And this matters the most of all! A 320 yd. drive with a wayward wedge coming into a par 4 will most times give you a bogey!
I play the yardage that gives me the best chance to get on in reg. I don't care for having to hit a fairway wood into a par 4.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

The whites where I play are 6386 - 70/128....the 70 is too low btw.

They also list on their wesite -

Yellow - 5643 - 72/125
Green - 5119 - 69.4/121

The yellows look as if they're intended for women with that distance, rating and slope. I have no idea what the greens are for with that rating/slope. They're way too high for men at that yardage. Maybe they're both meant for women.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Claret Jug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmankg View Post
Maybe they're both meant for women.
What is making you doubt it? That makes perfect sense.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Claret Jug

A few stretches each year when my game is solid, my tee game in particular, I'll venture back to the tips (6800 yds). Beyond that, you can usually find me in the 6400-6500 yard range, wherever those markers might be... middle, back, or whatever. At the start of each season, especially if we've had a lengthy winter layoff, I'll move up to the 6100-6200 yard tee box to gradually get into playing a longer layout as my mechanics come back. This works very well for me, since I don't feel overwhelmed playing what is typically a very soft, long golf course from the tees further back.

Re: Diane - yes, I've played the most forward tee box on several occasions. And I've learned a lot playing a shorter layout, and also have come to learn that just because a hole is 30-40, maybe even 50 yards shorter, it doesn't mean necessarily mean that it's that much easier!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
What is making you doubt it? That makes perfect sense.
That was on their website. I just got one of the cards out of my car. It reads

Men (Yellow) - 5643 - 67.5/117
Women (Green) - 5119 - 69.3/117

That makes more sense.

It also has the whites at a 70.7 rating, which is about right for 6386, but a slope of 122 which is too low for this track compared to others I've played. But combined it still amounts to the about the same as 70/128.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Claret Jug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmankg View Post
That was on their website. I just got one of the cards out of my car. It reads

I have quite often noticed differences between websites and scorecards as well. I now use the USGA's Course Rating and Slope Database ( National Course Rating Database ) for my own handicap-tracking, which sometimes gives a 3rd set of numbers!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 AM
U.S. Open Winner

Quote:

Yes - from age 8 to about age 12 which was a long time ago. Going to the mens tees from the ladies was quite a big step (in those days there were only two sets of tees) since the ladies were on average about 30 yards ahead of the mens but I had to play from them in order to get a handicap.

So far I haven't contemplated playing from the seniors tees although that day may come if I'm still playing in 15 years time. At the moment I play quite often with a couple of 82 year olds one of whom regularly plays to or beats his age from the club tees (the middle tees). Our course is not very long - 5924 metres (6500 yards) and despite being at sea level is pretty flat but with water hazards on 14 holes.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Claret Jug

Ty, my son's previous college coach used to have his players at the start of each school year qualify by playing the forward(red/ladies) tees, then the blue, white, and finally the black (back) tees, but would require a particular score on each tee that the players would have to make in order to 'qualify' and jump to the next tee (he would cycle through different practice regimens to mix it up). So some players would make that number the 1st time out and the next practice day they would play from the next further tee, while those that didn't make that number kept going at the forward tee. I guess if other players were moving up and you weren't, then the pressure was to make your number before they moved up again and be 2 sets of tees back from you . On one such cycle, my son got help moving up from the forward tees by scoring a hole-in-1 on a par-4 (300 yrds...he maybe drives 280), which he thought was funny that the group in front was also from his team and said while the pin was pulled and they were putting, his ball comes bouncing on the green and rolls into the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Webb View Post
I have heard of college coaches having their teams go and play from the forward tees. It's very good practice from time to time for your course management skills and short game.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
I have quite often noticed differences between websites and scorecards as well. I now use the USGA's Course Rating and Slope Database ( National Course Rating Database ) for my own handicap-tracking, which sometimes gives a 3rd set of numbers!
That's much better.
National Course Rating Database.

They rate the yellows for both men and women and the greens(shortest) for women. They also have a 9 hole breakdown for rating & slope. Cool.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Tour Card

I usually play the back tees unless I am with someone who plays whites. I don't play them because I think i'm good or anything, much to the contrary... I play them because I want to learn the hard way. Distance wise the fairway bunkers and other hazards are usually more in play for me playing from the back tees.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Grand Slam

Most of the courses I play there is either a white and a back tee or the white tee is the longest (a lot of the munies around here have an up tee a middle tee and a white tee, nothing outrageous). If a course has a white tee and a back tee I'll play the white, unless I'm with people playing the back. If it has a white and something between it and the way back tee, I'll play that one between the white and the way back.

Anyway, I generally aim for about 6,500 yards. A long time ago I heard a rule of thumb that says take your 5-iron distance, multiply it by 36, and that's about what you should play. For me that would be 185/6660.
Mizuno MP-32, 4-PW, Rifle Lite 5.5, 3.5* upright
Mizuno MP-T Black Ni, 56-10, 3.5* upright
Scotty Cameron Newport II, ca. 2005
Old 03-02-2012, 01:09 PM
U.S. Open Winner

I just ran the numbers on that. If I take my 5 iron carry yardage and multiply it by 36 I'd be in a lot of trouble. I'd be playing courses that are 7380 yards long. I'm not ready for courses that long just yet. IF I was to use my 5 iron distance with TODAY'S new stronger loft irons, I'd have to add a lot more yardage to that number. Last time I demo-ed some of the new low loft 6 irons, I was getting 207 yards average carry on the launch monitors, and they were all set for sea level, not mile high Denver air. Based on my 207 yard average with todays 6 irons, I'd have to add about 15 yards for one of todays 5 irons, If I used 222 yards times 36 it would come to 7992 yards. I'm thinking with todays stronger lofts, we might need to lower that 36 number quite a bit to get a recommended course yardage.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Tour Card

For what its worth, here is the yardages that the PGA and USGA's Tee it Forward initiative uses to give you an idea of what tee to play.

Driver Distance - Recommended 18-Hole Yardages

275 - 6,700-6,900

250 - 6,200-6,400

225 - 5,800-6,000

200 - 5,200-5,400

175 - 4,400-4,600

150 - 3,500-3,700

125 - 2,800-3,000

100 - 2,100-2,300
Old 03-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

With all due respect to the USGA's initiative and I appreciate them trying to do something about pace of play, but driving distance has next to nothing to do with it.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ