Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group  

Go Back   Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group > Out on the Links > General Golf Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Golf Discussion For general golf topics such as etiquette, rules, golf stories, Golf Channel programming, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Addminestrone
Green Jacket

How do the pro's hit the driver so far?

Now this sounds like a dumb and obvious question, but how can these guys consistently hit drives at the 300 yard range? And I'm talking about guys like Phil and Chucky 3 sticks. They're not huge guys (no Phil fat jokes ) and not exceptionally strong, but they can bomb the ball and I can't figure out if it's just perfect timing, or if they just have trick equipment that we can't get our hands on, or both. I know, I know...they're pro's...but they're still just human.

What brings this up is yesterday I played a few holes before dark, and I've been hitting my driver extremely well as of late. I crushed several shots that I figured had to be right at 300, but sky caddie only marked them off at about 280-285. I'm a bigger guy at 6'5" and have a driver clubhead speed in the 115 range, but I feel like I just can't hit the ball any farther, and i feel like I'm compressing the ball as much as is humanly possible, but that something is keeping me from more distance...I don't know what it is. I've got a good driver, correct shaft, good launch angle, etc.etc.

I'll knock an occasional 300 yarder out there with wind and roll in my favor, but I just can't figure out what makes the pro's able to average that kind of distance. It's not like I have a bad swing, or poor timing...so what gives.

I know hitting 300+ yard drives isn't the most important thing...but it sure would be nice to figure it out one day.

That's My Bag Baby!

Driver - Titleist 913 D3 8.5*
3 Wood - Titleist 913Fd 13.5*
Irons - 3-PW Titleist MB 712, Proj X 6.5
Titleist Spin Milled SM4 52*
Titleist Spin Milled SM4 56*
Titleist Spin Milled SM4 60*
Putter - S. Cameron Go Lo Select
Old 07-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Old Geezer
U.S. Open Winner

Re: How do the pro's hit the driver so far?

For what it is worth here's what I think; The pros have access to the equipment gurus in the equipment trailers they can tweak clubs every way know, also they have swing coaches to watch and video tape every swing they make in practice, all of this plus more. Average Joe golfer does not have access to this type equipment and people unless we got major amounts of $$$$$ to burn.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 PM
U.S. Open Winner

It's technique. Strength alone, will get you nowhere fast.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:02 PM
it's good!
Claret Jug

Nicklaus could bomb 280+ yard drives w/ the 1960's equipment.

There's no secret. It's more like a formula resulting in some major club head speed.

My coach is in the process of getting me to engage my legs more in an effort to get more power. I seem to spin on my front foot/leg, thus rendering my legs almost useless in my golf swing.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Tour Card

Send a message via AIM to Will

Phil is like 6'3" 220lbs so he isnt a small guy.

Its all practice, practice, practice.
Hybrid (3) - Cleveland Launcher
Irons (4-SW) - Callaway X20s
Wedges (60*)- Titleist Vokey
Putter - Odyssey White Hot XG #1
Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Green Jacket

Not sure if you've ever been to a tournament or not, but I was at my first a few weeks back and I'll tell you, these guys are not small. A lot of them look smaller on TV, but actually are not. I watched a lot of guys over the course of three days and I'll tell you, majority of them were around the 6' mark or taller.

Second of all they have access to the best teachers, and equipment in the world (which helps some).

Third of all it's technique. Their technique allows them to create effortless power and on top of that they hit the center of the clubface about 95 percent of the time.

Last thing is genetics. They can simply swing the club fast, period. You could ask the same question about how Michael Jordan jumped so high? Genetics. A lot of guys, not matter how much they workout, practice, wish and hope, they will never be able to swing the club at least 120 mph (what's needed to fly a ball around 300).

A lot of amateurs forget while watching these guys on TV that they are the best in the WORLD. They are probably the top .01% golfers in the world. Think about it this way, you hit driver as you say, 285 yards or so...well that's about 85 yards further than the average amateur hits driver.

My .02.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Tour Card

Send a message via AIM to Will

Well said. That makes me think of an article in Golf Digest or GOLF a couple years ago, interviewing an older golfer or golf reporter (cant remember) and said whats the one thing people dont realize about the PGA Tour players. He said how good they really are. That you could take your local club pro/best golfer, and these guys could spot them strokes on either side and still win big.
Hybrid (3) - Cleveland Launcher
Irons (4-SW) - Callaway X20s
Wedges (60*)- Titleist Vokey
Putter - Odyssey White Hot XG #1
Old 07-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Grand Slam

Probably most of us have hit at least one 300 yard drive. I know I have hit one 315, but I can do it one out of a thousand times when I actually make contact with the center of the club on the ball while squaring the clubface and almost unlacing my shoes I am swinging so hard. The rest of the time, I am very happy to hit one 265+ by making a more controlled swing at the right tempo for me to consistently find the fairway.

These guys have great eye to hand coordination, great technique, and the right kind of practice for years and years that allow them to hit my one in a thousand shot at least every other one or more often. There in lies the difference. They can do it consistently.... a repeating swing is worth its weight in gold.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Claret Jug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300Yards View Post
It's technique. Strength alone, will get you nowhere fast.

I agree 100%!

Below are some stats I've posted before. They dispell the myth that these guys are swinging the club at ridiculous speeds. The speeds shown below are well within the range of a good amateur golfer. Technology does help (as evidenced by the increase in driving distance for each player), but with swing speeds in the ranges shown below, TECHNIQUE plays a much larger role than simply brute force.

My "best ever" swing speed was clocked at 122 mph on a launch monitor but my average swing speed is in the 105 to 110 range. The number I'm most interested in is BALL SPEED, which I normally clock out at around 160 - 165 mph. I can hit 300-plus (341 is my longest to date), but I can count on an average carry of between 265 to 275 plus roll. Not bad for a "pack-a-day", balding, 49 year old Polack if I do say so myself!

Now none of that will break any Tour records, but it works quite well for me.

Here are some interesting Tour Stats:

The lead number is the distance increase over a six-year period for that player and the rest are basic LM stats. Notice the clubhead speeds!

+28 YARDS

VIJAY SINGH
Driving distance
1997: 280.9
2003: 308.9
Clubhead speed:
113 mph
Ball speed: 176 mph
Launch angle:
10.7 degrees
Ball spin: 2,600 rpm
Driver: TaylorMade
R510, 9.5 degrees
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

+34 YARDS

PETER LONARD
Driving distance
1997: 259.2
2003: 293.5
Clubhead speed:
111 mph
Ball speed: 168 mph
Launch angle:
11.7 degrees
Ball spin: 2,673 rpm
R580, 8.5 degrees
Ball: Callaway CTU 30

+24 YARDS

ROBERT ALLENBY
Driving distance
1997: 276.6
2003: 300.3
Clubhead speed:
112 mph
Ball speed: 161 mph
Launch angle:
8.5 degrees
Ball spin: 2,390 rpm
R580, 8.5 degrees
Ball: Srixon Hi-Brid Tour

+24 YARDS

PHIL MICKELSON
Driving distance
1997: 284.1
2003: 308.0
Clubhead speed:
120 mph
Ball speed: 178 mph
Launch angle:
13 degrees
Ball spin: 2,200 rpm
Driver: Titleist 983K,
8.5 degrees

+48 YARDS

ERNIE ELS
Driving distance
1997: 271.6
2003: 319.6
Clubhead speed:
118 mph
Ball speed: 174 mph
Launch angle:
11.5 degrees
Ball spin: 2,400 rpm
Driver: Titleist 983K,
8.5 degrees
HYBRID/4-WOOD: Nike CPR/NIKE SQ
IRONS (2-PW): Snake Eyes 600B
WEDGES: 51 & 55 deg. Snake Eyes 655TM
PUTTER: Odyssey Dual Force II #2

Last edited by JPsuff : 07-10-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:02 AM
Tournament Winner

All in the wrists. One of the best players in my town is half my size and not exactly a body builder but he constantly gets his drives out to around 300. I could put all i have into a swing and still be 15 yards short when he just steps up and flips one out there 300 yards
MX-19's
Vokey 56,60
Red X
Old 07-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Green Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Well said. That makes me think of an article in Golf Digest or GOLF a couple years ago, interviewing an older golfer or golf reporter (cant remember) and said whats the one thing people dont realize about the PGA Tour players. He said how good they really are. That you could take your local club pro/best golfer, and these guys could spot them strokes on either side and still win big.
Yeah, you're right. The pros would absolutely demolish a local club pro or scratch golfer. Have you ever seen a PGA event live? Like I said, the Memorial was my first and it's really an unbelievable thing to see how well these guys hit the ball. I mean, you know they're good by watching on TV, but in person you see how good they are and it's crazy.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Tour Card

Back in the 70s I was a TV news photographer in Memphis. Our sports director and I covered the St. Jude Danny Thomas Classic one year and spent the day following Lee Trevino at the old Colonial Country Club. We did an interview with him after his round, and our sportscaster, also an avid golfer, asked him, "Lee, how can I get to be as good a golfer as you?". Trevino said, "I'll tell you what...you spend ten years hitting a thousand golf balls a day, and some days hitting two thousand, every day, 365 days a year, rain or shine, like I did, and you'll be as good as me." On the way back to the TV station, our sportscaster said that until then he had never actually realized just how much effort and dedication it took to be a tour pro golfer. I will always remember Trevino's words. THAT's why they can hit it 300 yards and make it look so easy. For them, it IS. We watch them with awe, but never realize what effort it took for them to get to where they are.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 AM
That wasn't chicken!
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to GolfSavage Send a message via Yahoo to GolfSavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Phil is like 6'3" 220lbs so he isnt a small guy.

Its all practice, practice, practice.
I see Phil's website and the pgatour.com site have him listed a 6'3", but I think they're stretching it. Is Phil really the same height as Els and 2 inches taller than Tiger? Is he 3 inches taller than Adam Scott and Angel Cabrera?

As for the 300 yard drives, I believe it's mostly athletic ability. The big hitters have the natural coordination of hips, shoulders, arms, wrists, etc. My dad had that. He played fastpitch softball back in the 60's and won a gold medal in the Pan Am Games. He could hit the ball 300+ yards with the old persimmon clubs and balls of the 60s and 70s. Unfortunately, I did not get to swim in that end of the gene pool, so my 300 yarders are about one out of 30.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Tournament Winner

I am not going to disagree with any of the above. They are absolute phenoms. But........the conditions play into those numbers quite a bit. If you look at an event with very wet and soft conditions, a few are still out there over 300. But the majority are well under. Last weeks conditions were a prime example of inflating numbers. The first bounce was 20 yards. Firm fairways are something I seldom see. Neither do I see fairways that are cut to 3/8"....or shorter. I remember the first time I crossed one of the fairways at Augusta....****! It was shorter than the putting green at a place called Bacon Park where I putt at lunch. I had the opportunity to play a couple of courses last year with primo conditions. I had several balls right at 300 after watching a nice big bounce on a fairway that runs like a green. Normally, I am 270'ish off the tee. Pros playing on those conditions make 'Joe Golfer' feel very inadequate. But yes, they are unbelievably long compared to 99% of normal humans....On another note, I am surprised at VJ's club speed. I would have guessed around 120....

Everyone else: 52

Go Boilers!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Claret Jug

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb4tjh View Post
...Trevino said, "I'll tell you what...you spend ten years hitting a thousand golf balls a day, and some days hitting two thousand, every day, 365 days a year, rain or shine, like I did, and you'll be as good as me."...

Well that's like the old standby:

"How do I get to Carnegie Hall?"

And the response is, "Practice, practice, practice."

Repetition is the key to all learning. I've always said that you could have a job that you absolutely hate, but if you stay there long enough you'll become good at it through sheer repetition.

Here's a good analogy: Watch a good framing carpenter do his job. He swings his hammer as if it were an extension of his arm and he can drive nails seemingly without even thinking about it. When someone is starting out as a framer, they swing a hammer very cautiously. The hammer is never much farther than a few inches from the nail and he's taking short, weak, tentative swings. It may take him eight or nine "baby taps" to drive a nail home because his swing is weak (low clubhead speed) and his accuracy is poor. He's more concerned with hitting the nail (the ball) than he is with simply joining two pieces of wood together (the target).

But let that guy do his job for awhile and he gets to the point where he's taking long powerful swings (greater clubhead speed) and he's driving the same nails in three to four strokes (more distance/less effort/greater accuracy) because he's "practiced" his swing thousands of times and it's become second nature.

Golf is the same thing. The old saying goes: "The Pro's make it look easy". That's because it IS easy and that's the result of repetition to the point of having a motion become as familiar as placing one foot ahead of the other in order to walk forward. But more than simply "easy", a Pro's swing is efficient. There's no wasted motion, no excess motion and the timing is perfect. All of the movements in a pro swing are balanced to produce the greatest result with the least amount of effort - just like an experienced framer swings a hammer.

Technology is a wonderful thing and "getting fitted" is all the rage these days, but nothing takes the place of practice. Lots and lots of practice!

-JP

Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Tournament Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfSavage View Post
I see Phil's website and the pgatour.com site have him listed a 6'3", but I think they're stretching it. Is Phil really the same height as Els and 2 inches taller than Tiger? Is he 3 inches taller than Adam Scott and Angel Cabrera?

I've stood right next to him and was eye to eye with him....and I too am 6'3"

Everyone else: 52

Go Boilers!!!

Last edited by Leaguegolf : 07-11-2007 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:16 AM
U.S. Open Winner

I gotta say, if you're clubhead speed is 115 mph and you're not getting a couple 300 yard drives per round, I'm surprised. It could be that Nike driver.

Seriously, there are a ton of factors that go into the equation. Your driver loft...where you hit the ball on the club face...your angle of attack when you hit the ball...the ball you use...how old the ball or the club is...where the ball is positioned in your stance...how high you tee the ball...etc. The pros have all this figured out down to the smalled detail. That's how they get optimal results. We just guess and hope we get it right...which is why we have lesser results (along with technique, of course, like several others have mentioned).

I wouldn't have thought the ball would have made that much of a difference, but in my last round, I found out otherwise. I was just playing a weekend round, so I wasn't playing just one ball. I was hitting a Srixon AD333 ball about 240-245 with my 3 wood off the tee box fairly consistently. I lost it on the 17th hole and on the last hole I teed off with a used Titleist ProV1. I hit my 3 wood good, but the drive was only about 210 yards. I lost about 30 yards on a well-struck drive when I switched and hit a Titleist. Part of the reason for the loss in distance may have been the small scuff mark on it, but I wouldn't have thought that it would have made a 30 yard distance difference.

My Bag:
Driver, FW, Irons, Putter
MacTec NVG2 3 & 4 Hybrids
60 degree PureSpin LW
Balls and Bag
Golf Frontier GPS App

2013 Masters Pick 'Em Champ
2013 Winter, Summer and Full Season Winner - GRW Fantasy Golf
2012 Winter, Summer and Full Season Winner - GRW Fantasy Golf
2009 Full Season Winner - GRW Fantasy Golf
2008 US Open Pick 'Em Champ
2007 Players Championship, US Open & PGA Championship Pick 'Em Champ
Old 07-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Ultimate Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by savgolfjunkie View Post
I've also stood next to Phil, as we talked while waiting in line with our families for a kid's show at Six flags Amusement Park a few years back. If he's not 6' 3" he's very darned close. BTW, we were both wearing sandals so his footwear wasn't a factor.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:19 AM
That wasn't chicken!
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by savgolfjunkie View Post
Wow, so you lie about your height as well? Just Kidding!

Thanks, I appreciate a first-hand confirmation. Maybe it's the way Phil slouches sometimes that makes him seem shorter than he is.

You also make a good point about the conditions of the courses the play, as they'll tend to get much more roll than the average guy on an average course. Even the Futures Tour will set a course up a little firmer and faster if they can. They play an event in Lakeland, FL at Cleveland Heights CC and I've played there the Monday after the event. The fairways were probably a 7 on the Stimpmeter and the greens were at least 10. But the rough was about 2 inches deeper than usual.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Ultimate Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wedge View Post
I wouldn't have thought the ball would have made that much of a difference, but in my last round, I found out otherwise. I was just playing a weekend round, so I wasn't playing just one ball. I was hitting a Srixon AD333 ball about 240-245 with my 3 wood off the tee box fairly consistently. I lost it on the 17th hole and on the last hole I teed off with a used Titleist ProV1. I hit my 3 wood good, but the drive was only about 210 yards. I lost about 30 yards on a well-struck drive when I switched and hit a Titleist. Part of the reason for the loss in distance may have been the small scuff mark on it, but I wouldn't have thought that it would have made a 30 yard distance difference.
If the Srixon was 30 yards longer than the Titleist ProV1 you wouldn't see a single ProV1 on any tour. Certainly not the PGA Tour.

We all hit different balls differently just as we hit different clubs differently. The Srixon may be 30 yards longer for you but I'd suggest more than one swing with a "used" ball before making that determination.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 AM
U.S. Open Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaguegolf View Post
If the Srixon was 30 yards longer than the Titleist ProV1 you wouldn't see a single ProV1 on any tour. Certainly not the PGA Tour.

We all hit different balls differently just as we hit different clubs differently. The Srixon may be 30 yards longer for you but I'd suggest more than one swing with a "used" ball before making that determination.
Don't get me wrong. I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. I was suggesting that the Titleist ball was old and used more and had a slight scuff mark and THOSE factors made the ball seem more "dead" off the club than the newer, relatively unused Srixon ball. New ProV1 vs. Srixon, I don't doubt the ProV1 would be every bit as long (if not longer) for me. My point was that the age of the ball could also affect your distance, which related to what the original question was all about.

My Bag:
Driver, FW, Irons, Putter
MacTec NVG2 3 & 4 Hybrids
60 degree PureSpin LW
Balls and Bag
Golf Frontier GPS App

2013 Masters Pick 'Em Champ
2013 Winter, Summer and Full Season Winner - GRW Fantasy Golf
2012 Winter, Summer and Full Season Winner - GRW Fantasy Golf
2009 Full Season Winner - GRW Fantasy Golf
2008 US Open Pick 'Em Champ
2007 Players Championship, US Open & PGA Championship Pick 'Em Champ
Old 07-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Golf Enthusiast

How many of us get to practice for several hours each day over a number of years, play golf every day (or close to it), have the luxury of our own personal swing coach, and to top it off have the finest equipment?

I'll be willing to bet that the equipment is the last thing that helps the pros perform as they do...talent, personal drive and most importantly "practice practice practice" as Paul Hornung used to say in those Miller Lite commercials, that is what makes a pro a pro.

True organized and profitable practice is underrated by almost all of us as golfers. Practice at the range, on a course, it all adds up over a number of years...not just simply hitting balls everywhere on a range, but actually practicing certain shots over and over and over again until they are perfect every time (or close to it).
Old 07-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Ultimate Spammer

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. I was suggesting that the Titleist ball was old and used more and had a slight scuff mark and THOSE factors made the ball seem more "dead" off the club than the newer, relatively unused Srixon ball. New ProV1 vs. Srixon, I don't doubt the ProV1 would be every bit as long (if not longer) for me. My point was that the age of the ball could also affect your distance, which related to what the original question was all about.
I see what you meant now. With a couple of exceptions, we can hit the same ball the pros do. There's no "fresh out of the sleeve" ball out there that I hit 30 yards farther than another.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Addminestrone
Green Jacket

Quote:
I gotta say, if you're clubhead speed is 115 mph and you're not getting a couple 300 yard drives per round, I'm surprised. It could be that Nike driver.
LOL...yeah I'm starting to think the old r7 425 was the best driver I ever owned. Actually, I really like the Nike, and I do get some 300 yard drives, but I still feel like when I swing as hard as I can (and still stay in control), I completely max out the potential energy in the club and ball....maybe it's an equipment issue, and the shaft or driver degree isn't optimal for my swing. I'm just not sure...I don't even know if I'm explaining it correctly.

That's My Bag Baby!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Green Jacket

I believe the pro's hit the ball farther because of how frequent they get to play. When I play in 72 hole tournaments I will normally play 5-6 days in a row. Normally my distances will increase after the 3rd day due to my muscles being stretched out and my timing is better. I get to play more golf than the average guy, but not nearly as much as a touring pro. These guys are playing a minimum of 6 days per week.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 AM
That wasn't chicken!
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
I believe the pro's hit the ball farther because of how frequent they get to play. When I play in 72 hole tournaments I will normally play 5-6 days in a row. Normally my distances will increase after the 3rd day due to my muscles being stretched out and my timing is better. I get to play more golf than the average guy, but not nearly as much as a touring pro. These guys are playing a minimum of 6 days per week.
That brings up a great point - flexibility! Look at John Daly - big as a house but he can make a shoulder turn like a Chinese contortionist! Most once-a-week or less players don't have that flexibility needed to consistently hit great, powerful drives. How often is your first drive the best of the day? I know I should, but I rarely warm up properly. So the front nine usually has me hitting drives 240-260 yards (if I can get one to go straight). But the back nine I can expect a drive or two that go 280+ (again, if I can hit it straight). My best round came after playing 5 rounds in 6 days. That fifth round was great - I had more control and feel, and my drives were leaping off the club face. If I could just get to where I could put the time in every week to practice or play the par-3 course, plus make myself excercise and stretch, I'd be awesome!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Here kitty kitty...
Grand Slam

I was thinking about this and all things being equal, a guy with a 115 ss with a driver that has a heavier weight will outdrive a guy with the same swingspeed and a stock driver weight...pros are famous for their heavy clubs; this could be an additional factor...

Cobra ZL 9.5* Fubuki 73 xstiff
Exotics CB2 15* prolaunch blue fwy stiff
Exotics CB1 18* fuji pro95 xstiff
TM Rescue dual 22* diamana blue hy stiff
Bridgestone J36 cb 4-pw TT black gold +1" American standard stiff
Nomadwrx vokey 52* & 58* s400 +1"...raw
Bettinardi bbx 34"
Old 07-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Addminestrone
Green Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigvivec View Post
I was thinking about this and all things being equal, a guy with a 115 ss with a driver that has a heavier weight will outdrive a guy with the same swingspeed and a stock driver weight...pros are famous for their heavy clubs; this could be an additional factor...
Do the pros use drivers with hotter faces than are available to us? I've been to professional tournaments and the ball just looks like it comes off the face with so much more kick than any driver I've seen. I get to play with some very good players on occasion and I've never seen the ball explode off the face of a driver like it does when you see the pro's in person...which makes me think that they've got some gear that none of us know about, and/or have access to.

That's My Bag Baby!

Old 07-12-2007, 01:16 PM
U.S. Open Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringin View Post
Do the pros use drivers with hotter faces than are available to us? I've been to professional tournaments and the ball just looks like it comes off the face with so much more kick than any driver I've seen. I get to play with some very good players on occasion and I've never seen the ball explode off the face of a driver like it does when you see the pro's in person...which makes me think that they've got some gear that none of us know about, and/or have access to.
I think it's more of the case that their equipment fits them, and their style perfectly..Surely the pros wouldn't be breaking the rules in order to look better..They just hit the middle of the club every time, and it makes all the difference in the world.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:57 PM
GEAUX TIGERS!!!!
Grand Slam

I've done a few numbers crunching and it doesn't appear that by the distances listed the pros fall into the norm of what distance should normally be for specified swing sppeds with great contact. The norm for a good hit is generally considered 2.5 multiplier X swing speed = carry distance. I think the examples shown about were closer to 2.8 which must mean their equipment is hotter faced. The cor testing by the usga uses a swing speed that is consisderably lower and does not reflect the bounce effect when the clubs exceed their testing limit. One example presented above showed a player gain 8.5 yds compared to another player with just an increase of 1 mph. If that was linear a person would be able to drive it 850 yds. with a 100 mph swing. Darn par 4's would be tough if you kept overdriving them by 400-500 yds.

If every team could be as good as OU they would still not be equal.

Geaux Mizzou Tigers, beat Arkansas. That will show those want to be imposters
Old 07-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to stlcard_25 Send a message via MSN to stlcard_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralpro View Post
I've done a few numbers crunching and it doesn't appear that by the distances listed the pros fall into the norm of what distance should normally be for specified swing sppeds with great contact. The norm for a good hit is generally considered 2.5 multiplier X swing speed = carry distance. I think the examples shown about were closer to 2.8 which must mean their equipment is hotter faced. The cor testing by the usga uses a swing speed that is consisderably lower and does not reflect the bounce effect when the clubs exceed their testing limit. One example presented above showed a player gain 8.5 yds compared to another player with just an increase of 1 mph. If that was linear a person would be able to drive it 850 yds. with a 100 mph swing. Darn par 4's would be tough if you kept overdriving them by 400-500 yds.
1) The USGA tests at 120 mph swing speed now. That's not much slower than all but the hardest swingers on tour.

2) The launch conditions of all the above players differed. Even if they were all hit off the same hole on the same day, we can't be sure of the wind conditions, etc. That's making a lot of assumptions.

3) Since when is physics linear? Check the spin and launch angle numbers, try to figure out the way the wind was blowing, etc. and the numbers would be clearer.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:02 PM
GEAUX TIGERS!!!!
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcard_25 View Post
1) The USGA tests at 120 mph swing speed now. That's not much slower than all but the hardest swingers on tour.

2) The launch conditions of all the above players differed. Even if they were all hit off the same hole on the same day, we can't be sure of the wind conditions, etc. That's making a lot of assumptions.

3) Since when is physics linear? Check the spin and launch angle numbers, try to figure out the way the wind was blowing, etc. and the numbers would be clearer.
I would agree there are many variables and unless all parameters were listed one would never know the differeces but I assumed these were averages of their reading from many swings and not just one. A lot would depend also on where the readings took place but if it is an average for the year during testing of swing checks, club fittings or ball selection then one would assume they should average out that they would face different climate conditions. If the USGA is now testing at 120 mph SS then how could the current drivers pass COR limitations because the bounce would now be factored in? I believe I mistated the fact that they tested the face before with a swing speed but I think that is in error. The ball was tested at a swing speed of 100 mph, I believe, but the club face was checked dropping a test standard ball from a specific height and measuring how high the ball bounced off the face to determine how much energy was repelled. The existing COR rquirements must have been raises to give them a better testing standard and still being able to use current equipment.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Administrator
Grand Slam

Quote:
The existing COR rquirements must have been raises to give them a better testing standard and still being able to use current equipment.
The COR is just a ratio...it won't change whether the ball is struck at 50 mph or 150 mph. The fraction of energy that is transferred from the club to the ball will still be the same.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:29 PM
GEAUX TIGERS!!!!
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcard_25 View Post
The COR is just a ratio...it won't change whether the ball is struck at 50 mph or 150 mph. The fraction of energy that is transferred from the club to the ball will still be the same.
Not if I understand the physics behind it which I'm not an expert on. The bounce effect adds energy to the ball being repelled from the contact to the metal surface. In the old days you had virtually no bounce effect so then your statement would be true. That is why they went to bigger heads so they could create the trampoline effect, also increasing the MOI and enlargen the sweet spot by doing so. If you believe that if they placed a honeycomb back to the face that the ball would still travel as fast I think you would be mistaken, but I'm open to explanations and ideas.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Administrator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Not if I understand the physics behind it which I'm not an expert on. The bounce effect adds energy to the ball being repelled from the contact to the metal surface. In the old days you had virtually no bounce effect so then your statement would be true. That is why they went to bigger heads so they could create the trampoline effect, also increasing the MOI and enlargen the sweet spot by doing so. If you believe that if they placed a honeycomb back to the face that the ball would still travel as fast I think you would be mistaken, but I'm open to explanations and ideas.
In the old days, players used wooden drivers, which had CORs in the .78-.80 range. Newer, titanium models sit at the .830 limit (regardless of swing speed). That alone, at a swing speed of 110+ mph will yield a large distance increase (somewhere between 10 and 20 yards).

Old 07-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Claret Jug

Or it could just be all that practice.

Surely all you scientists are familiar with Ockham's Razor, am I right?

For those who aren't, Ockham's Razor is the principle proposed by William of Ockham in the fourteenth century: ``Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'', which translates as ``entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily''.

Or in basic terms, the simplest explanation is usually the most accurate.

The Pro's hit their drivers so far and so consistently because they've put years of daily practice into their craft and have become rather proficient at it. Titanium, graphite, COR formulas, et al may serve to enhance their performance but are not the reasons for their performance.

The reason they're so good is practice, practice, practice.

-JP

Old 07-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Tour Card

I'm going to have to vote for technique. This is just me, I've seen my swing and I release the club very early in the downswing. I've hit a few 300+ when I try not to kill the ball, and I think it just helps me to release the club at the right moment. Well, that's what I'll be working on when I get back.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Here kitty kitty...
Grand Slam

I read an article about Bubba Watson when he first came out on tour...the author was doing part of the interview at a local driving range...Bubba was "airmailing" the ball, one after the other, over the 250yd mark on the fence at the end of the range...

...with his four iron...

The author made a point to say that the balls were well over the fence and the balls themselves were standard range rocks...

Bubba is long by PGA standards, but on the whole, those guys are that much better than anyone on this site...

Cobra ZL 9.5* Fubuki 73 xstiff
Exotics CB2 15* prolaunch blue fwy stiff
Exotics CB1 18* fuji pro95 xstiff
TM Rescue dual 22* diamana blue hy stiff
Bridgestone J36 cb 4-pw TT black gold +1" American standard stiff
Nomadwrx vokey 52* & 58* s400 +1"...raw
Bettinardi bbx 34"
Old 07-12-2007, 08:13 PM
it's good!
Claret Jug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigvivec View Post

Bubba is long by PGA standards, but on the whole, those guys are that much better than anyone on this site...

They're hitting it longer and w/ much much more accuracy. If you ever go to a PGA tournament, be sure to check out their fairway targets from where their tee boxes are. ...and how they're often lined tightly w/ trees.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 PM
PGA Class A Professional
Green Jacket

Watch some of the slow motion swings that are televised. Sergio for an example, has such tremendous lag on his down swing, he keeps his wrists cocked and then fires through the hitting area in one or two frames. He almost hits his shoulder with the club head when his hands get to his waist. The time that these guys have put in to maximize the results that they get is what enables them to hit the ball so far.

Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme Matrix Ozik 7M3
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* Matrix Ozik 8M3
Callaway X Hot Pro 18* Matrix Ozik HM2
Callaway X Forged 2013 3-PW Project X PXi
Callaway Forged 52* & 58* Project X PXi
Odyssey Version #9
Callaway Hex Black Tour