Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group  

Go Back   Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group > Out on the Links > General Golf Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Golf Discussion For general golf topics such as etiquette, rules, golf stories, Golf Channel programming, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Tour Card

Re: Exercise and Golf

Thanks, now if my handicap would drop as fast...lol.

It's a tough course to walk so it's been interesting. Definitely makes it when I go anywhere else, it's easy to walk..lol.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ametzler View Post
Thanks, now if my handicap would drop as fast...lol.
You might be surprised - playing while walking is entirely different, it may very well help your game.
Mizuno MP-32, 4-PW, Rifle Lite 5.5, 3.5* upright
Mizuno MP-T Black Ni, 56-10, 3.5* upright
Scotty Cameron Newport II, ca. 2005
Old 04-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Tour Card

I love walking the course. I use to do it all the time before I took a couple years off from the game and when I came back I didn't do it as much. It's been nice doing it again. I have been teaching my wife, could take up an entire different post on that one..lol, but I was telling her today that it is such a different experience walking, really lets you get in tune with the course and feel all the little nuances. Plus you pay more for all the bad shots..lol.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3856a View Post
That's great, and walking is SO MUCH MORE FUN. It's so much more relaxing, so much easier to get into a rhythm. I hope you enjoy it, I can't stand carts.
I echo that sentiment. I really like to walk the course. I especially like to walk it late in the afternoon when the temps drop a bit and the sun is setting. Great time to be outdoors.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Wazmankg

I'd have to keep it in the fairway if I walked at my home course. Many of the fairways are framed and separated by rather steep, high hills. It's all rough & heather but you usually have a shot if you can find your ball. Climbing up & down those hills would wear me out in a hurry.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2011 US Open Pick Em Champ
2011 Yahoo Fantasy Golf Champ
2009 Womens British Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world... those who divide the world into 2 kinds of people and those who don't." - author unknown
"They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

I'd have to keep it in the fairway if I walked at my home course. Many of the fairways are framed and separated by rather steep hills. It's all rough & heather but you usually have a shot if you can find your ball. Climbing up & down those hills would wear me out in a hurry.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world... those who divide the world into 2 kinds of people and those who don't." - author unknown
"They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmankg View Post
I'd have to keep it in the fairway if I walked at my home course. Many of the fairways are framed and separated by rather steep hills. It's all rough & heather but you usually have a shot if you can find your ball. Climbing up & down those hills would wear me out in a hurry.
Perhaps you should start walking them Waz - it may provide the incentive to hit the ball straight.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Tour Card

I know just what you mean Waz. Our course sits on the side of the mountain and one of the par 3's you have to hike up the mtn. about 120 feet. Most the other holes are consistently up and down so it is a trek. I think walking 18 with my wife yesterday was a bit much but we went out and walked 9 today then took our dog out for a walk after.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane View Post
Perhaps you should start walking them Waz - it may provide the incentive to hit the ball straight.
Thanks Diane. I don't think incentive is the problem and I don't often get that crooked off the tee anyway. I have seen many walkers there and it's $8.50 cheaper. I'll give it a try before it gets too warm.

Quote:
I know just what you mean Waz. Our course sits on the side of the mountain and one of the par 3's you have to hike up the mtn. about 120 feet. Most the other holes are consistently up and down so it is a trek. I think walking 18 with my wife yesterday was a bit much but we went out and walked 9 today then took our dog out for a walk after.
Some courses just aren't made for walking. I've walked a couple of those too, It was my first time playing them and I didn't know any better. My course has some pretty good elevation changes but they're gradual except for the hills between the fairways. The balls don't kick down off of them because of the rough. Last year I pushed a drive onto the side of one and my ball was well above knee high when I took my stance.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

Old 04-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Grand Slam

When I play a hilly course and am pushing my clubs up a hill - I tell myself that my butt is going to look great if I just keep going. That's all the incentive I usually need.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Grand Slam

Quote:
When I play a hilly course and am pushing my clubs up a hill - I tell myself that my butt is going to look great if I just keep going. That's all the incentive I usually need.

I play Fred Enke GC on foot here in Tucson. It is a very hilly desert course. Last summer, some guy from the North Central US came down on vacation and tried to walk it. They brought him in with a cart and he didn't look good. It is a test to walk, but still fun.

Diane, I can't imagine telling myself that, but I certainly understand how you could pull it off.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Tech View Post
I play Fred Enke GC on foot here in Tucson. It is a very hilly desert course. Last summer, some guy from the North Central US came down on vacation and tried to walk it. They brought him in with a cart and he didn't look good. It is a test to walk, but still fun.

Diane, I can't imagine telling myself that, but I certainly understand how you could pull it off.
Why do people think they can go on vacation and suddenly do things they never do.

C-Tech - with all the courses you walk - I'm amazed you're not a stick.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Grand Slam

My home course is pretty hilly as well, walking 18 is a beast, but it's great exercise. You're right, though, Waz, some courses absolutely aren't made for walking. I played one a year or two ago that was built in and around a development (or vice-versa), and in some cases it was literally like a 10 minute walk between holes. I hate courses like that.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Grand Slam

Quote:
Why do people think they can go on vacation and suddenly do things they never do.

No amount of walking can overcome my penchant for refrigerator raiding while watching TV in the evening. Besides, my metabolism must have slowed to a crawl once I quit smoking.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Tour Card

I know this is an older post by since my wife and I are walking the course a lot. She doesn't go out as much as me but now we are in summer vacation I tend to walk nine in the morning and nine at night. It is a little over a 5 mile walk doing all 18. As of today I have lost 28lbs and my only exercise has been walking the course. Obviously the eating stuff I have brought in check but it's been just those two things. If anyone is thinking you can't do it by just golfing and eating right, you can! I am losing it faster right now because of vacation but when working and going out a couple of times a week I was still dropping it pretty quick.

The handicap has also dropped, down to a 13 right now and I started this year at an 18. Just had custom irons made so I am getting used to those but expect it to drop more once I adjust to them.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Here kitty kitty...
Grand Slam

Quote:

What would you prefer he do? Stop at Starbucks on the way to the office? It's vacation; time for doing ALL the things that you never do...
Old 07-06-2010, 02:56 AM
U.S. Open Winner

Quote:
I know this is an older post by since my wife and I are walking the course a lot. She doesn't go out as much as me but now we are in summer vacation I tend to walk nine in the morning and nine at night. It is a little over a 5 mile walk doing all 18. As of today I have lost 28lbs and my only exercise has been walking the course. Obviously the eating stuff I have brought in check but it's been just those two things. If anyone is thinking you can't do it by just golfing and eating right, you can! I am losing it faster right now because of vacation but when working and going out a couple of times a week I was still dropping it pretty quick.

The handicap has also dropped, down to a 13 right now and I started this year at an 18. Just had custom irons made so I am getting used to those but expect it to drop more once I adjust to them.
Well done. As a 66 yr old and a bit of a traditionalist I'm appalled at all the youngsters in their 20's and 30's who ride. Most of our courses are non-housing estate and the walks between greens and the next tee pretty short. Part of the enjoyment of golf is the walk and being close to nature in what is becoming an increasingly built up environment. I have noticed that my general fitness is starting to decline but I reckon that without my walks I could be pushing up daisies now.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Grand Slam

Quote:

Congratulations on the weight loss and new handicap!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Claret Jug

I'm trying to start walking. I ordered a push cart. Muni I play is perfect for it. Thing is the place I ordered it from, 3 wheel push cart dot com, has received my money, it's been 7 days and they haven't giving me anything on shipment. I have left email and phone messages with no reply. PayPal said not to worry 'cause if they stiff me PayPal well give my $200 back. Told me to call them back in 2 days. Man I'm mad. Anyway if you guys want to help me out you can email them and tell the thieving to send Arc his money or the cart. We have a lot of courses out here that won't allow walking. They don't want to have to keep going out and picking up carcasses of heat stroked, snake bit, fat dead people off the sides of mountains every summer.

I think I can walk it. I've been parking the cart ahead and walking back. Walking as much as I can and I feel good doing it. I just can't carry the bag. It's too heavy. Especially with all the beer and pork skins in it...
2011 NFL Pick Em Champ

Life's hard. It's even harder if yur stoopud. - Arc 2010

Last edited by Blue_Arc : 07-06-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Tour Card

LOL...we just got back from NY and I played some of the courses I grew up on. We walked those courses but that is because I know the course. Generally when playing a course that I don't regularly play I will use a cart so I don't worry about slowing their pace down at all. My wife and I are kind of famous now on our course as not many people walk it anyway so people are always really friendly with us, plus they know we let anyone that comes up on us to play through. It is actually becoming a good conversation point because people know we are doing it for the weight loss so they are always asking us on how it is going. It's been an interesting experience.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Grand Slam

I am taking a TRX training class geared towards golfers. I hate to exercise, but this class is so much fun.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Tour Card

Quote:
I am taking a TRX training class geared towards golfers. I hate to exercise, but this class is so much fun.
Suspension Trainers are cool. If you decide to buy one but don't want to spend that much money you can make one pretty easy. Here's a link to show you how.

RossTraining.com Blog
Old 04-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Grand Slam

Thanks, but I have to be forced to exercise. There's no way I'd build anything and then use it on my own.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Tour Card

Quote:
Thanks, but I have to be forced to exercise. There's no way I'd build anything and then use it on my own.
Attitudes like that get you out of shape and injured.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Grand Slam

Out of shape - of course. Injured - no. Building something and then using it to exercise - now that will get me injured.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

That made me LOL, Diane. Good one.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Tour Card

Quote:
Out of shape - of course. Injured - no. Building something and then using it to exercise - now that will get me injured.
Injured - yes. If you don't exercise you will get injured; it's not if but when. Especially if you participate in an asymmetric sport like golf.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
Injured - yes. If you don't exercise you will get injured; it's not if but when. Especially if you participate in an asymmetric sport like golf.
That's an absolute statement I'm certain you'd have trouble supporting with any evidence. In fact I'd like to see any study that indicates a causal relationship between lack of exercise and golf injuries. Tiger is quite an exercise buff I believe. In fact, while I'm not making any claims, I would imagine that any exercises that don't complement the specific movements of the golf swing might actually increase your chance of injuring yourself playing golf.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Tour Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmankg View Post
That's an absolute statement I'm certain you'd have trouble supporting with any evidence. In fact I'd like to see any study that indicates a causal relationship between lack of exercise and golf injuries. Tiger is quite an exercise buff I believe. In fact, while I'm not making any claims, I would imagine that any exercises that don't complement the specific movements of the golf swing might actually increase your chance of injuring yourself playing golf.
Ok, say most then.

The main issue with the golf swing is that its asymmetrical. Back, hip, and neck issues will probably occur if all you do is golf. If you mean complement by strengthening your non golf muscles than I agree. Stretching in general is always good. Now when I say this I don't mean once a week golf but an actively playing and practicing many hours a day/week.

Tiger was an exercise buff. I would guess that he wanted to do as much as possible to keep his knee functional. No matter what the knee snap is what caused the issue and had nothing to do with his fitness.

Lack of an exercise in general leads to short non functional and or poor movement patterns. Poor movement patterns cause stress on the body.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:43 AM
Here kitty kitty...
Grand Slam

Revealed: Why Wales are taking no chances with Gareth Bale - thanks to a revolutionary training system - Goal.com

Interesting strides in sports fitness training...

Cobra ZL 9.5* Fubuki 73 xstiff
Exotics CB2 15* prolaunch blue fwy stiff
Exotics CB1 18* fuji pro95 xstiff
TM Rescue dual 22* diamana blue hy stiff
Bridgestone J36 cb 4-pw TT black gold +1" American standard stiff
Nomadwrx vokey 52* & 58* s400 +1"...raw
Bettinardi bbx 34"
Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Tour Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigvivec View Post
Didn't body building go through the over-training cycle? I remember reading about one of the world body building champ that worked out about half as much as his next competitor. I guess the story supports that more is not always better. It used to be that being sore for more than a day after a workout wasn't unusually. Now many teach that if you are sore for more than a day after a workout you've over trained.

It also seems that many franchises are starting to incorporate movement screens into their curriculum. If you don't perform at a certain level on baseline movement patterns like squat, lunge, shoulder mobility, trunk stability and rotational stability, etc. you don't compete until the movement is corrected.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Grand Slam

My shoulder turn is fine - tilt - not so much so my swing plane is off. Anyway - this exercise class has really helped me with that. It's amazing what happens when you stay on plane.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Green Jacket

Quote:
My shoulder turn is fine - tilt - not so much so my swing plane is off. Anyway - this exercise class has really helped me with that. It's amazing what happens when you stay on plane.
Have you played much golf since starting the class Diane? Are your scores dropping?

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11
Old 04-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Grand Slam

I've played a couple of times Bonk. I'm hitting further, but I've also found more trouble - landing in streams and hitting over greens. I think it will take some time before I see a change in my scores.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Grand Slam

I haven't exercised in 2 months aside from playing indoor golf on the sim. I took a TRX class yesterday. I'm sore, but it feels good. Now I feel motivated.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Grand Slam

After two bulging discs and two bouts of sciatica the last two years, I'm focused on losing weight and getting myself in better shape, not only for golf, but for life. I'm down about 19 pounds so far since November (yes, I lost weight through Thanksgiving and Christmas) and have been focusing again on my Egoscue exercises, which is a system focused on postural alignment. It did wonders for my back after my first sciatica. I'm also back on my stretching program.

Weight-wise, I started at 242, I'm at 223, and my goal is 210. My chiropractor says for every pound you lose, you take 7 pounds of pressure off your spine. So I've already taken 150 pounds of pressure of it, which obviously can do nothing but help.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:21 PM
avmech

Down 29 pounds since September late/October early, mixture of exercise and a change in diet, still have about 20 to go. Riding my bike as much as I can, most mileage on a single ride has been 31.5 miles to date, and strengthening my muscles (upper and lower body) with a workout routine I do at home. Will be starting stretching exercises soon. Am also taking a few lessons as I no longer have to move around my old spare tire. Blood pressure is also lower.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmech View Post
Down 29 pounds since September late/October early, mixture of exercise and a change in diet, still have about 20 to go. Riding my bike as much as I can, most mileage on a single ride has been 31.5 miles to date, and strengthening my muscles (upper and lower body) with a workout routine I do at home. Will be starting stretching exercises soon. Am also taking a few lessons as I no longer have to move around my old spare tire. Blood pressure is also lower.
Good for you. I have done no, and I mean zero, exercise - my change has solely been dietary (thus far anyway). I've also given up the sauce. My motivation was partially my cholesterol hitting 205 and the doc wanting to put me on statins. Noooooooooooooo thank you.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Grand Slam

I find it odd the way men broadcast their weight.

Ok - I made a bet with a co-worker. I have to lose 10 lbs by 4/1 and she has to lose 15 lbs. She wants to lose 30 lbs total and my goal is 15 lbs. so I think the bet is fair. She's a lot younger than I am, but seems to have a slower metabolism. Our official weigh-in is tomorrow. There's a scale in the company gym.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Grand Slam

Quote:
I find it odd the way men broadcast their weight.
We're less self-conscious about it than women, and you're always more liable to disclose it when the number is going from north to south than the other way around. That being said, I know what you mean. Americans are the only people in the world that will tell perfect strangers their medical history unprompted.