Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group  

Go Back   Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group > Out on the Links > The Practice Range
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Practice Range For those in need of advice (slice, shanks, short game, training aids, etc.) or have advice to share.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Weekend Duffer

Desperately need your guidance. Hitting ground before the ball

Hi All,

I have, somehow, picked up a habit over the last 3 weeks of hitting the ground before the ball. I have tried the following to try and fix this, but none has worked:
Shift weight sooner/later
Less/more knee bend
Keeping head back
Weight further back on feet/further front on feet

I have a charity event coming up and would really like to clear this up before then. Anything you may have would be helpful. I am mostly happy with my swing, if I could just hit the ball flush.

Here is the video: YouTube - s.avi
Old 04-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Wazmankg
Re: Desperately need your guidance. Hitting ground before the ball

You're releasing the clubhead way too early and look to have a complete breakdown of form as you make your pass at the ball. It looks as if you're trying to help the ball up rather than hitting down on it. This could result in hitting the ground before the ball or blading/topping the ball and if you get very, very lucky, hitting a reasonably good shot occasionally. Basically, everything after you reach the top of your back swing looks wrong to me. I wouldn't know where to start. These are just a couple of general observations from a 13 handicap. There are many here who are better students of the swing who may be able to offer some actual advice. But a couple of lessons may be in order. Good luck.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2011 US Open Pick Em Champ
2011 Yahoo Fantasy Golf Champ
2009 Womens British Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world... those who divide the world into 2 kinds of people and those who don't." - author unknown
"They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Wazmankg : 04-02-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Claret Jug

Yes, looks like the exertion during the downswing is streching him out more than his pre-shot setup (which by itself showing your club at the ground in the 7-o'clock position and by the time it gets to the ball in the bottom of the apex in 6-o'clock position, you're going to be hitting major ground...but the extension on the downswing is hitting ground even earlier. Choke up on the grip a bit?
Old 04-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to TwillDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmankg View Post
You're releasing the clubhead way too early and look to have a complete breakdown of form as you make your pass at the ball. It looks as if you're trying to help the ball up rather than hitting down on it. This could result in hitting the ground before the ball or blading/topping the ball and if you get very, very lucky, hitting a reasonably good shot occasionally. Basically, everything after you reach the top of your back swing looks wrong to me. I wouldn't know where to start. These are just a couple of general observations from a 13 handicap. There are many here who are better students of the swing who may be able to offer some actual advice. But a couple of lessons may be in order. Good luck.
Agree. One other thing I notice is a fair amount of slide in the hips, a byproduct of overactive legs. Maybe widen your stance a bit and try to turn your hips more as if turning in a barrel. It seems maybe on the downswing that because you are sliding less than turning, your hips don't clear well and that may be the root of the fat shots. I think if you turn more around the leg posts, going back and forward (you slide going back a little, then slide past where you were at address going forward - this would cause you to release early because otherwise you'd miss the ball completely or top it badly) it may correct the issue.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Golf Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockd View Post
Hi All,

I have, somehow, picked up a habit over the last 3 weeks of hitting the ground before the ball. I have tried the following to try and fix this, but none has worked:
Shift weight sooner/later
Less/more knee bend
Keeping head back
Weight further back on feet/further front on feet

I have a charity event coming up and would really like to clear this up before then. Anything you may have would be helpful. I am mostly happy with my swing, if I could just hit the ball flush.

Here is the video: YouTube - s.avi

looks to me like you're "casting" the club meaning your releasing it early. Try to hold the angle longer. Also looks to me you're starting your downswing before completing your back swing. As a drill, try pausing at the top for a second before starting down.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Weekend Duffer

Thanks for all of your prompt attention and replies! So, I added what I think is "lag" (my hands are in front of the ball at impact and I hold my wrist hinge longer), and I no longer hit behind the ball.

I have added a video of my new swing. Any pointers or helpful tips would be great. Will be going to the range soon to try them out.

YouTube - Swing w lag.avi
Old 04-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Wazmankg

Well that was a bit better, especially the 1st swing. But your pass at the ball still has big problems. You're not clearing your hips at all. In fact you're never actually turning towards your target until well after the ball is gone. That's giving your ball strike a scooping action which just isn't going to work. You're 1st swing was the best. That aspect seemed to get worse after that. I think that's the key to your problem. On your downswing your lower body turn should lead the way... followed by torso, shoulders, arms, hands and club in that order. It has to be a natural move that you ingrain. You have it sort of backwards and are stopping your body turn and lunging at the ball with your arms & hands. Fixing that is kind of a big deal and it isn't easy. It's also critical to a decent swing. Good luck and let us know how things go at the range.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2011 US Open Pick Em Champ
2011 Yahoo Fantasy Golf Champ
2009 Womens British Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world... those who divide the world into 2 kinds of people and those who don't." - author unknown
"They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin