Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group  

Go Back   Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group > Out on the Links > The Practice Range
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Practice Range For those in need of advice (slice, shanks, short game, training aids, etc.) or have advice to share.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Grand Slam

Driver swing speed vs. 6 iron speed

So I was on a launch monitor at Turning Stone the other day and these two numbers jumped out at me. My 6 iron swing speed is 92-93, which the PGA pro there said would put me in the x-flex range (average 6 iron SS on tour is 92 I believe), yet my driver SS averaged about 105, peaking at 108. That's a 12-15 mph difference between the two. Shouldn't it be a lot greater than that? One thing I can say is that I really don't ever feel like I have a good rhythm with my driver. At times I can hit my 3 wood just as far, and I feel very comfortable swinging a 3 wood.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or knowledge about this. I just figured with my 6 iron averaging 92, my driver should be about 112 (logic being that if my 6 averages the same as the tour average, so should the driver, and that's 112). What's even weirder is that I swing my 6 under control and probably try too much with the driver.

And this isn't meant to be an "I swing as fast a tour pro" post, it's just those numbers mirror exactly mine for the 6. I also had never, ever considered hitting an x-flex. My irons are Rifle 5.5s.
Mizuno MP-32, 4-PW, Rifle Lite 5.5, 3.5* upright
Mizuno MP-T Black Ni, 56-10, 3.5* upright
Scotty Cameron Newport II, ca. 2005
Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Wazmankg
Re: Driver swing speed vs. 6 iron speed

You're a tall guy, presumably strong guy with a good range of motion from looking at your swing. It doesn't surprise me at all that your 6i SS is roughly that of the average pro. As for your driver I think you answered your own question -

"One thing I can say is that I really don't ever feel like I have a good rhythm with my driver."

If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't. Why or how to fix it I have no clue. Why don't you post a vid of you hitting the driver ? If you already have I don't recall.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2011 US Open Pick Em Champ
2011 Yahoo Fantasy Golf Champ
2009 Womens British Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world... those who divide the world into 2 kinds of people and those who don't." - author unknown
"They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmankg View Post
You're a tall guy, presumably strong guy with a good range of motion from looking at your swing. It doesn't surprise me at all that your 6i SS is roughly that of the average pro. As for your driver I think you answered your own question -

"One thing I can say is that I really don't ever feel like I have a good rhythm with my driver."

If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't. Why or how to fix it I have no clue. Why don't you post a vid of you hitting the driver ? If you already have I don't recall.
I thought kind of the same thing as I was writing that sentence, Waz, almost as if I was explaining it to myself. I haven't posted a video of my driver swing, and I'm not sure I even took one. If I haven't I will and I'll post it.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM
U.S. Open Winner

Your speeds are very close to what I'm getting when I measure my speeds with my Swing Speed Radar unit. Driver is 105-108 MPH, and 5 iron is 90 MPH. When I started playing golf 10 years ago I read that driver speed is usually about 10 MPH higher than 5 iron speed, so we are both pretty close to that number.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePutt View Post
Your speeds are very close to what I'm getting when I measure my speeds with my Swing Speed Radar unit. Driver is 105-108 MPH, and 5 iron is 90 MPH. When I started playing golf 10 years ago I read that driver speed is usually about 10 MPH higher than 5 iron speed, so we are both pretty close to that number.
I think I remember you saying you've tried quite a few of the swing speed gauges, what do you think of the Medicus power meter? The Swing Speed Radar is kind of expensive, no? I see it for like $150.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 PM
U.S. Open Winner

I've tried most of the cheap swing speed gauges, like to Medicus and didn't find them very accurate at all. I hit balls on a launch monitor to get my swing speed in the store, and then swung the Medicus and got nothing close to what the launch monitor gave me. There are TWO units of the Swing Speed Radar, One comes with a Tempo Timer and that one sells for $150 retail. Without the Tempo Timer it sells for $100 retail I've talked to a few golfers that found the units online for less, but don't know exactly where they found them, so you might be able to find a lower price online if you do a search. One thing you need to know. When I got my SSR unit it comes with instructions and they mention that MOST golfers don't get the same reading for clubhead speed if they take a practice swing, compared to when they tee up a ball and hit a ball with the clubs. When I tested this I found that they were CORRECT. My clubhead speed was 97 MPH the first time I used the SSR hitting balls. But when I swong the same driver with what I throught was the same swing, my readings were a good bit lower, like 15 to 20 MPH lower. For some strange reason, my swing speed wasn't the same when I wasn't hitting a ball. It happens EVERY time so it wasn't just a fluke. After using the SSR for less than ONE WEEK, and trying every tip I had read or heard about to increase speed, my average speed went up to 105-108 MPH. Basiically I tried different things, some worked and some didn't. After I found what DID work for ME. my speed was up 8 to 11 MPH and it;s pretty much stayed that way over the last 8 years since I got the SSR unit. Quite honestly, I would think that if YOU were to do the same thing, "try every tip you know of" you might see the same gain in speed in pretty much the same time frame as I did. Can't promise you anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if you got the same results as I did. And I think you would agree, that IF you did gain 5 to 10 MPH with your driver in a week of trail and error testing, you would agree that the cost of the SSR unit was well worth it.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Tour Card

My swing speeds are no where near your two's, but I bought the SSR (without the tempo timer) and have had the same experience as OnePutt. I've fiddle-farted around with very minor swing thoughts and tweaks to see how swing speeds differ. I've actually found a couple of things that have consistently increased my speeds by 5-7 mph. It's amazing how a very minor swing thought can help your swing, and vice-versa...
Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 AM
U.S. Open Winner

That's the great thing about the SSR/TT. I can try different things with my swing and tell IMEDIATELY if it helps or hinders my swing speed. NO guess work involved, just try something and the radar unit tells you what works and what doesn't right before your eyes. Some of the best things are those that you will NOT believe work, but do. I have one swing method that I use every now and then that really makes me shake my head when I use it because my swing speed is always on the high side of average and it FEELS like there is no way it could be that high. IF I wasn't using the SSR/TT there is no way I would believe how fast I was hitting the ball using this swing method.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePutt View Post
I've tried most of the cheap swing speed gauges, like to Medicus and didn't find them very accurate at all. I hit balls on a launch monitor to get my swing speed in the store, and then swung the Medicus and got nothing close to what the launch monitor gave me. There are TWO units of the Swing Speed Radar, One comes with a Tempo Timer and that one sells for $150 retail. Without the Tempo Timer it sells for $100 retail I've talked to a few golfers that found the units online for less, but don't know exactly where they found them, so you might be able to find a lower price online if you do a search. One thing you need to know. When I got my SSR unit it comes with instructions and they mention that MOST golfers don't get the same reading for clubhead speed if they take a practice swing, compared to when they tee up a ball and hit a ball with the clubs. When I tested this I found that they were CORRECT. My clubhead speed was 97 MPH the first time I used the SSR hitting balls. But when I swong the same driver with what I throught was the same swing, my readings were a good bit lower, like 15 to 20 MPH lower. For some strange reason, my swing speed wasn't the same when I wasn't hitting a ball. It happens EVERY time so it wasn't just a fluke. After using the SSR for less than ONE WEEK, and trying every tip I had read or heard about to increase speed, my average speed went up to 105-108 MPH. Basiically I tried different things, some worked and some didn't. After I found what DID work for ME. my speed was up 8 to 11 MPH and it;s pretty much stayed that way over the last 8 years since I got the SSR unit. Quite honestly, I would think that if YOU were to do the same thing, "try every tip you know of" you might see the same gain in speed in pretty much the same time frame as I did. Can't promise you anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if you got the same results as I did. And I think you would agree, that IF you did gain 5 to 10 MPH with your driver in a week of trail and error testing, you would agree that the cost of the SSR unit was well worth it.
Wow, that's really interesting. One of the things you mentioned, about how when you swing it without hitting balls, is something I've thought about. Oddly, I always assumed your SS would be higher doing that, due to being looser from not having the anxiety of the little white Satan sitting there staring at you

Yeah, if I could get an extra 5-10 MPH clubhead speed, that would be well worth the $100. Thanks, OnePutt!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Claret Jug

I have the SSR/TT. When I found out about the different readings between airswings and swings into a ball I was inclined to mistrust the unit, mainly because I have trouble trusting what is essentially a black box to me (so I am not necessarily saying that I think something is wrong with the technology). In any case, the unit works well for experimenting with either practice or real swings to increase speed, as Oneputt mentions.

Mr#s: I'll trade you my SSR/TT for your Neo+! I like it, but I don't use it enough.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
I have the SSR/TT. When I found out about the different readings between airswings and swings into a ball I was inclined to mistrust the unit, mainly because I have trouble trusting what is essentially a black box to me (so I am not necessarily saying that I think something is wrong with the technology). In any case, the unit works well for experimenting with either practice or real swings to increase speed, as Oneputt mentions.

Mr#s: I'll trade you my SSR/TT for your Neo+! I like it, but I don't use it enough.
That would be a good trade for me
Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 AM
U.S. Open Winner

Interesting comment from the pro at the monitor. One possible reason for the relatively slower 6 iron v driver is that the pros never muscle a mid iron while they will have a go at a driver hence the bigger differential. Most pros are more concerned with consistent distance from their irons and all of them can crank up the ss if they have to but they choose rhythm over max speed every time.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:15 PM
U.S. Open Winner

It looks like Mr #'s and SS might have found a match with a trade of gear. Nothing like a trade that works well for both parties and everyone is happy in the end. I use my SSR/TT every time I go to the driveing range to check my swing speed. It tells me if I'm swinging well or not. I also use the Tempo Timer when I want to work on my short game shots around the green. If I can get the swing speed PLUS the tempo time really consistant on my pitch shots, my distance and ball flight becomse much more consistant and controlable. Same spend and tempo equals equal distance which is my goal for pitch shots.