Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group  

Go Back   Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group > Out on the Links > Tour Chatter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tour Chatter For discussion related to the various Tours (PGA, LPGA, European, Amateur, etc.) and players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 01:05 PM
WineBFine11

Should players be paid for the Presidents and Ryder Cup

Some players have whined and cried about wanting big money to play in these two events. They are representing their countries and if they want more money they should decline the invitations rather than whining.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Wazmankg
Re: Should players be paid for the Presidents and Ryder Cup

As I recall some of them wanted a say in where the profits went, not that they wanted to get paid. I like the compromise the PGA came up with... that they all get $200k to contribute to charity and I'd have no objection to them being able to allocate even more of the profits. That's really a drop in the bucket of what the PGA makes from the event. I don't know what the European Tour does with their cut.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2011 US Open Pick Em Champ
2011 Yahoo Fantasy Golf Champ
2009 Womens British Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world... those who divide the world into 2 kinds of people and those who don't." - author unknown
"They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Claret Jug

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineBFine11 View Post
Some players have whined and cried about wanting big money to play in these two events. They are representing their countries and if they want more money they should decline the invitations rather than whining.
I don't blame them for complaining, because they are working their jobs. But as long as they'll do it for free, they shouldn't get paid.

Only half the players (Team USA) are representing their country. Their Ryder Cup opponents represent Europe, which is probably not especially meaningful to them. Their President's Cup opponents represent nothing whatsoever.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:52 PM
WineBFine11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmankg View Post
As I recall some of them wanted a say in where the profits went, not that they wanted to get paid. I like the compromise the PGA came up with... that they all get $200k to contribute to charity and I'd have no objection to them being able to allocate even more of the profits. That's really a drop in the bucket of what the PGA makes from the event. I don't know what the European Tour does with their cut.
You are right some did want a say (and not that it had to go to charity) and some were embarrassed and upset any of the Americans were asking for money rather than the privilege of playing for their country. But a few like O'Mera, Duval and Tiger wanted the money and then changed their story when other golfers and fans were embarrassed by their greed.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:56 PM
U.S. Open Winner

Some players get big bonus payments from sponsors when they make The Cup.

UK Hcp 5.6 US Hcp +1.6

Irons Driver Putter, in a Bag and hits
Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Administrator
Ultimate Spammer

Quote:
You are right some did want a say (and not that it had to go to charity) and some were embarrassed and upset any of the Americans were asking for money rather than the privilege of playing for their country. But a few like O'Mera, Duval and Tiger wanted the money and then changed their story when other golfers and fans were embarrassed by their greed.
When was the last time any player from any side has said anything about Ryder CUp or Presidents Cup money? You're making a mountain out of a molehill about an issue that resolved years ago.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

I remembered the issue but everything I came up with on the web was pretty old. There was an article where Tiger said that another tour event, the one he was about to play (the Accenture ?), meant more to him than the RC. When asked why he said he could think of a million reasons, referring to the winner's purse for the former. It was a laugh line but I guess he took some flak for it and subsequently backtracked somewhat. I vaguely remember something about it.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world... those who divide the world into 2 kinds of people and those who don't." - author unknown
"They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-05-2011, 12:53 AM
U.S. Open Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
I don't blame them for complaining, because they are working their jobs. But as long as they'll do it for free, they shouldn't get paid.

Only half the players (Team USA) are representing their country. Their Ryder Cup opponents represent Europe, which is probably not especially meaningful to them. Their President's Cup opponents represent nothing whatsoever.
Is it just your opinion that the Rest of the World represents nothing whatsoever or are you enunciating US foreign policy?

For a bunch of guys who represent something "not especially meaningful to them" they seem to take a lot of pride in whipping the Americans rear.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:06 AM
Claret Jug

Quote:
Their Ryder Cup opponents represent Europe, which is probably not especially meaningful to them.
Just think how well they would play if it did!

Last edited by Wazmankg : 09-05-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: fixed quote box
Old 09-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Claret Jug

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermo View Post
Is it just your opinion that the Rest of the World represents nothing whatsoever....?
I would call it a fact! By definition the 'Internationals' do not represent the US, and they do not represent Europe. I will change my mind on this when I hear "Rest of World" chants at the upcoming event!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Claret Jug

And yet the players who have whined most about payment have been those representing their country ,not those representing 'nothing'
Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 AM
WineBFine11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmankg View Post
I remembered the issue but everything I came up with on the web was pretty old. There was an article where Tiger said that another tour event, the one he was about to play (the Accenture ?), meant more to him than the RC. When asked why he said he could think of a million reasons, referring to the winner's purse for the former. It was a laugh line but I guess he took some flak for it and subsequently backtracked somewhat. I vaguely remember something about it.
Each player has to make their own decision and jokes.
But the quotes of a possible a boycott and others like this were an embarrassment to ALL. If you don't like the system and established procedures, then don't play. There are plenty who would love to play and represent their country.

Only a few hours earlier, for instance, Tiger Woods, who once called the Ryder Cup "pros on parade," was still suggesting, "We should be able to keep the money and do whatever we see fit."
Old 09-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Grand Slam

Quote:
But the quotes of a possible a boycott and others like this were an embarrassment to ALL. If you don't like the system and established procedures, then don't play. There are plenty who would love to play and represent their country.

Only a few hours earlier, for instance, Tiger Woods, who once called the Ryder Cup "pros on parade," was still suggesting, "We should be able to keep the money and do whatever we see fit."
A few hours earlier from when? Today? Or years ago?

Nevermind - I googled - it's a quote from a NY Daily News article from 1999. Here is Tiger's full quote.

Quote:
Only a few hours earlier, for instance, Tiger Woods, who once called the Ryder Cup "pros on parade," was still suggesting, "We should be able to keep the money and do whatever we see fit. For me personally, I would donate all of it to charity. With all the money that's being made, I think we should have a say in where it goes."
Seriously Wine - that's the best you can do. Oy!

Ryder Cup Golfers

Last edited by Diane : 09-05-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Quote:

I just mentioned it because it was so long ago I'd forgotten about it and digging up that article reminded me. Monica Lewinsky was the big story, we were all Livin' La Vida Loca and everyone was running for cover from the Y2K bug. I'm as nostalgic as the next guy but forgive me if my outrage over this has waned a bit.
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

Old 09-08-2011, 11:25 AM
U.S. Open Winner

Thanks to Diane's efforts, we now have the facts on this issue. And for one, I think it's really a dead issue at best.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:53 PM
U.S. Open Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
I would call it a fact! By definition the 'Internationals' do not represent the US, and they do not represent Europe. I will change my mind on this when I hear "Rest of World" chants at the upcoming event!
Why would they chant at all? This is golf not football and BTW Europe is part of the rest of the world so such a "chant" would be inappropriate anyway.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Claret Jug

Chanting at golf is uncalled for, along with the 'Youdaman' and 'Get in the hole' morons.

You do not hear 'Rest of the World' being chanted because their supporters are better behaved.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Administrator
Ultimate Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Chanting at golf is uncalled for, along with the 'Youdaman' and 'Get in the hole' morons.

You do not hear 'Rest of the World' being chanted because their supporters are better behaved.
Chanting is almost as annoying as group singing by the Euros.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Claret Jug

'We only sing when we are winning'
Old 09-13-2011, 02:37 PM
U.S. Open Winner

Ah but chanting was a primitive form of singing developed before the advent of tunes - some haven't progressed since then.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:01 PM
U.S. Open Winner

I think it fair to say that a LOT of people haven't progressed since then.